Thread: what converter

Senior Member EXPERT BUILDER

what converter

i'm on disabilty income so can't afford to have a new custom built converter..so i'm going to have to resort to a used one.can i find out what converter would work best for me by giving information on engine/ trans/ car;;engine not togeather yet but i do have everything to put togeather .so what information will you need to decide what converter to start watching for?

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    gear and tire size also.

What I would do for a used converter, find one get the #'s off it and call whoever made it, and ask what the say it'll work for if you fall in to what they say then your good to go.

David Lanning
    IHRA NHRA 387B

Fleenor Racing Transmission
    419-280-1406
    Lanning Electric
    Complete Drag Car Wiring
    APD Race Engines
    www.apdracing.com

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE jmarksdragster's Avatar
    Engine make and size, cam specs, heads and approximate flow, intended RPM range, trans model and brake or not, rear ratio, tire size, vehicle and weight...
    Mark Whitener
    http://racingfuelsystems.myfunforum.org

Good work isn't cheap, and cheap work can't be good.

Quote Originally Posted by jmarksdragster
    Engine make and size, cam specs, heads and approximate flow, intended RPM range, trans model and brake or not, rear ratio, tire size, vehicle and weight...
    it is a 540bbc/11.8 comp pistons/heads will be done by curtis[pro valve job/c-n-c ported and flowed/i think he said around 445 cc flow but don't remember if that is before or after he works on them]they are brodix 2-plus heads/roller cam with 736 lift 116 LC ;871 stage 4 blower/aly injection bird catcher w/modified square doors]mallory super maglll ign.//trans is PG with 10 disc high gear-stright cut 1;80 planitary-trans brake/4;88 rear gears/spool/32.14.5 slicks/
    62 nova wagon built into a 2 door seden delivery with glass doors/front end/guted tail gate-full chassis car with M/S cage[hope to certifie to 7;50/has steel firewall and steel floor with middle trans tunnel and drive line tunnel aluminum/christ alston a-arm front end/ladder bar rear/

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE jmarksdragster's Avatar
    With what you are building, a custom is almost a requirement. Most likely a 10" with a blower motor, needs to be a strong piece. There are a couple 10.5 " Hughes that look like they may be blower pieces from the wants at the bottom(blower pulley), and a 10" Chance bolt together on RJ for sale, but used would be a crap shoot unless you know the owner that had it. There is a local guy here that can build one as good as any, uses all new parts, billet steel stators and covers. I have one of his 8" converters in mine and ran quicker than my Coan. If you don't like it he will buy it back. Can't ask for any better. Make it spragless as well. Ask for Greg
    http://www.fticonverters.com/

Quote Originally Posted by jmarksdragster
    With what you are building, a custom is almost a requirement. Most likely a 10" with a blower motor, needs to be a strong piece. There are a couple 10.5 " Hughes that look like they may be blower pieces from the wants at the bottom(blower pulley), and a 10" Chance bolt together on RJ for sale, but used would be a crap shoot unless you know the owner that had it. There is a local guy here that can build one as good as any, uses all new parts, billet steel stators and covers. I have one of his 8" converters in mine and ran quicker than my Coan. If you don't like it he will buy it back. Can't ask for any better. Make it spragless as well. Ask for Greg
    http://www.fticonverters.com/
    thanks for information .looks like i'll need to find a few harleys to paint then and have one built for me then.

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    What do you consider to be your price range. I have a couple used convertors that may work but we would have to run the numbers to check for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnp
    What do you consider to be your price range. I have a couple used convertors that may work but we would have to run the numbers to check for sure.
    what do you have?you can pm me if you rather.