Bypass or dead head regulator?

Old 12-23-2008, 06:53 PM
et7333
EXPERT BUILDER

Default Bypass or dead head regulator?

Which one do you feel is best for alky carb sbc and why?
Old 12-23-2008, 08:00 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

IMO a bypass is the way to go on a gas or alky setup no matter, no matter what the fuel is there.

I'll explain it a bit further, I'd always dead headed everything went to alky and belt drive where a bypass is a must, but I still used electric pump for my nitrous fuel side. In order to get the fuel pressure to not drop down to 0 for a moment and come back up I set it up with a bypass setup, when fuel kicks on never goes below 7 lbs now, the fuel is always there when its needed. Hope this helps.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:31 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Bypass , and if you use a fuel log, it is sorta like having larger float bowls and you always have the full volume of fuel available at the carb without having to wait on the regulator. Maybe my junk is wrong, but every one I've had that dead heads, if you hit the throttle with the pump on and the engine off, the needle would drop momentarily ,then you will hear the regulator and then the preasure would go back up. I'm switching mine to a fuel log and bypass this year.

That's my opinion
Old 12-24-2008, 04:58 AM
john858
EXPERT BUILDER

bypass.x2 on what hammer & tod said.good luck john
Old 12-24-2008, 12:52 PM
Scooterz
RACING JUNKIE

YUP- same-o/same-o.

I just replaced a deadhead less than a year ago w/a BP. Good luck!
Old 12-27-2008, 07:09 AM
et7333
EXPERT BUILDER

I forgot to mention I'm using a Product Engineering 4400 which has a return in the pump.
Old 12-27-2008, 10:09 AM
dparker
RACING JUNKIE

A dead head. You should call Product Engineering, they have a bleed back regulator that works great I have one and have never had any creep. Creep is where while idling of just having the pump running your fuel pressure to the carb has a tendecy to rise. The bleed back regulator using a NOS nossle to keep the regulator opening and closing to keep it from letting the fuel pressure from rising. Works great.