RING-WASH!!

Old 12-23-2008, 11:11 AM
Scooterz
RACING JUNKIE

Default RING-WASH!!

I have ring wash... it is slow to acqumluate, but its there (fuel in oil). Not real bad, I can smell it though & see it in oil pressure drop at opt- temp. How common is ring wash when your car is down for the winter & the motor is started occasionally but not cleaned out & driven? I think I may have my primary jets 2 steps too high was (76 was lean, now 80). Float levels are correct. Fuel pressure is 7psi. Primary PV inplace @ 2.5. Other than that, I just curious if you guys encounter ring wash & what I can do otherwise. At well over 100.00/per oil change, I want to keep it a minimum. It seems like ring wash occurs when when the car is not being driven much, but started occasionally. Your thoughts??
Old 12-23-2008, 12:44 PM
lively
RACING JUNKIE

IT SOUNDS LIKE YOUR FUEL IS BLEEDING INTO THE ENGINE SOMEHOW WHEN IT IS SITTING. ARE THE BOWLS STAYING FULL OR HAVE YOU CHEKED THEM? WHEN YOU START IT UP ARE YOU LETTING IT COME UP TO A GOOD TEMP. OR SHUUTING IT DOWN COLD?
OR MY PET PEEVE -ARE YOU REVING IT UP RIGHT BEFORE YOU SHUT IT OFF[I HAVE SEEN THAT PUT FUEL IN THE CYLINDERS FROM NOT BEING ALL BURNED UP ops: ops: ]

JUST SOME THINGS TO THINK ABOUT
LIVELY
Old 12-23-2008, 01:16 PM
Scooterz
RACING JUNKIE

LIVLEY,

My float-bowl windows appear to be slightly lower after it sits a little while?

Most of the time I am not bringing it up to full operating temp- as it is cold as hell right now & it has no choke, takes some time to warm up.

I probably do not rev it up enough at shut down.

Do you ever get ring wash even if things are all in order from cold starts & not running the car? Is this normal to some extent? thanks.
Old 12-23-2008, 02:02 PM
lively
RACING JUNKIE

mostly my problem occurs from not warming it up completely
you might be better off to just start it up every couple of weeks [with the doors open if it is in the garage :lol: :lol: ]
let it warm up good before shutting it down
I THINK YOU MISSED MY POINT =-=:\"DO NOT" REV IT UP AND SHUT IT DOWN AT THE SAME TIME[ ALOT OF MY FREINDS THINKS THAT IS NEET[BUT IT PUTS RAW FUEL ON TOP OF THE PISTONS WHICH IS A NO NO]AND THEN IT RUNS DOWN THE PISTON SKIRTS :cry: ops: :cry: ops:

LIVELY
Old 12-23-2008, 02:12 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Hey Riggs, i think you're better off not firing it up in the winter, but instead drain the carb, and turn it over with the fuel pump off, pour a little diesel fuel down the carb to lube the cylinders and spin the engine over until the oil pressue comes up ever few weeks. You'll ruin the plugs so i would have junk plugs in it. There is no way you can get away from the ring wash in the oil unless you run it long enough for the oil to get hot enough to evaporate the gas residue in the oil. Worked for me when i lived in the Chgo. area for about 25 yrs.

JMO

Zip.
Old 12-23-2008, 02:13 PM
dparker
RACING JUNKIE

Fuel in the oil in a small amount is just what happens with a high compression race engine. Even more so when its cold because your pistons haven't expanded yet. Thats why we have vents out of the valve covers for the combustion thats gotten past the rings. If combustion is getting by, so is fuel. I recommend not using real high dollar oil and change it after every other race. I use valvoline 20-50 racing and a recleanable oil filter.
Old 12-24-2008, 12:27 PM
Scooterz
RACING JUNKIE

Livley/DPraker/ZIP:

Thanks. I kind of suspected some of what you said. From what I gather, I need to run the oil/filter like Dparker said & maybe a block warmer & change it often until we get into season again & run the good oil again.

OR- I may do as Zip says & be done w/ it for a few months.

Lively- I got ya, clean it out good via RPM, then recover to idle, then shut down. Is that right? The other way, fuel is not fully spent when ignition is shut down thus extra fuel is trapped in cylinders... & so on.