Vacuum pumps

Old 12-23-2008, 03:14 AM
jreiley
MASTER BUILDER

Default Vacuum pumps

I am told I need to run a vacumm pump on my blown bbc. I know very little about them. What would be a good choice? Thanks.

Jim
Old 12-23-2008, 06:25 AM
dparker
RACING JUNKIE

A just bought one and this was the best deal I could find. Reher Morrison and some others have a 3 vane Moroso complete kit for $799.00 and $119.00 for a regulator that goes on the pump instead of the valve cover, for a total of $918.00 plus shipping. The regulator on the pump allows cool air to come in at the pump keeping it cooler when you reach your desired vacuum. Autofab race cars has a 4 vane Moroso pump kit for $889.00 and if you want the regulator at the pump they will swap it out with the valve cover one that comes with the kit. total cost with shipping $949.00. The 4 vane pump by itself it $200.00 more than the 3 vane. I thought this was the best buy that I could find.

http://autofabcart.net/morosocompletevacuumpumpkit.aspx
Old 12-23-2008, 01:50 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Man i don't know how that would work with a blower motor. I don't know the answer :? i'm just posing the :?: I know for sure the tank would not be big enough. I personally run 2 burn down tubes which are 1 1/4" in dia. mounted on the top front of the valve covers and running to a 1 gal. tank in front of the motor. There for sure is a lot of pressure in the crank crankcase with a blower motor, especially when you're running 20 to 40 lbs. of boost. I don't know if a vacuum pump could keep up with the pressure, and i run total seals best rings for blown and or nitrous, again i don't know. I know i've never seen a vacuum pump on any of the blown alcohol or nitro cars.

Zip.
Old 12-23-2008, 02:18 PM
dparker
RACING JUNKIE

I have to agree with Zip. I've never seen a vacuum pump on a blown motor. My catch can with my vacuum pump is pretty small. I just bought a 255in RED that had been running a blower, and the catch can/tank is about 10 times larger than mine. Might be something you want to check on before you buy a vacuum pump.
Old 12-24-2008, 07:26 PM
PAR
APPRENTICE

Moroso makes a pro mod vacuum pump that is designed for blown applications, however, we don't see them used alot. Most blower cars use down tubes like the other guys have suggested.
Old 12-26-2008, 06:11 AM
jreiley
MASTER BUILDER

Thanks for all the response. Being really ignorant of some of this stuff, let me say I'm running 10 lbs of boost. What is the purpose of catch cans hooked up to downtubes from the valve covers? Does the added boost push oil out the tubs? If I don't have to spend 1000k, I'm all for it.
Jim
Old 12-26-2008, 03:11 PM
obsessedtruck
JUNIOR BUILDER

JUst run tubes from the valve cover down. A vacum pump would almost be useless on a blower motor. Save yourself some coin and spend it esle where. Every blower motor I've seen never had a pump on it and i've seen alot of them
Old 12-26-2008, 04:33 PM
jreiley
MASTER BUILDER

I'm going to take your advice and just run the tubes and spend the money elsewhere. I know I can't save it.
Jim
Old 12-26-2008, 05:26 PM
quick8dragster07
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

It's the best choice to get the tubes, we run ours out the back of the valve covers to a vented catch tank mounted over our rear end.. Makes life a lot easier, but running a lot of boost we still only get a little blowoff in our catch tanks. MAKE SURE YOU'RE CHECKING YOUR INTAKE AND EXHAUST rockers! If one of them is way tight or loose, you have a problem..... Just my two cents :wink: