Jungle hell....this is what AMERICANS do......

Old 12-13-2008, 09:33 AM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

Default Jungle hell....this is what AMERICANS do......

You're an 18 or 19 year old kid. You're critically wounded and dying in
the jungle in the Ia Drang Valley, Vietnam, on 14 November 1965. Your infantry unit is outnumbered 8 - 1, and the enemy fire is so intense that your own Commander has ordered the MediVac helicopters to stop coming in.

You're lying there, listening to the enemy machine guns, and you know you're not getting out. Your family is halfway around the world, 12,000 miles away, and you'll never see them again. As the world starts to fade in and out, you know this is the day.
Then, over the machine gun noise, you faintly hear that sound of a helicopter, and you look up to see an un-armed Huey, but it doesn't seem real, because there are no MediVac markings on it.

Ed Freeman is coming for you. He's not MediVac, so it's not his job, but he's flying his Huey down into the machine gun fire, after the MediVacs were ordered not to come.

He's coming anyway.

And he drops it in, and sits there in the machine gun fire, as they load 2 or 3 of you on board. Then he flies you up and out through the gunfire, to the Doctors and Nurses.

And, he kept coming back ... 13 more times ... and took about 30 of you and your buddies out, who would never have gotten out.

Medal of Honor Recipient Ed Freeman died last Wednesday at the age of 80, in Boise, Idaho. May God rest his soul....

(Oh yeah, Paul Newman died that day too. I guess you knew that -- he got a lot more press than Ed Freeman.)
Old 12-13-2008, 02:55 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Good Post.
Old 12-13-2008, 03:28 PM
hollowayshotrods
RACING JUNKIE

That's my kind of hero.
Old 12-13-2008, 05:57 PM
BEAST477
RACING JUNKIE

Man that took guts.
Old 12-13-2008, 06:15 PM
mopar1968
RACING JUNKIE

Bravier man than i am!!
Old 12-13-2008, 08:24 PM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

We ALL have it in us.... if a situation warranted it, we'd do what needed to be done. period. That's what caring human beings do.
Old 12-14-2008, 05:08 AM
outlaw256
RACING JUNKIE

thank you for the story on a hero.he went above and beyond.fisrt ive heard of him but now it wont be the last i think of him.there are no words that can express how i feel about the men and women that fight and die for their country. being willing to die for her is a true hero to me. dead is dead. never to come back.they become only memories. thats sacrifice.and to all the fathers and mothers,brothers and sisters that gave their sons and daughters and brothers and sisters to us, to you and me. i can only say i thank you for what you sacrificed because its you who gave up the one you loved for me.i didnt go to vietnam, nor did i protest the war. i thought them boys were tough as hell to go over there. but now im in my 50s and really starting to feel guilty that i didnt go and do my part. godbless every soldier from the revolution to now. im free because of you.
Old 12-14-2008, 07:45 AM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

Outlaw,
Don't feel guilty about not having gone to 'Nam. Just doing all you can NOW to back our modern day heroes who are fighting this utmost important fight w've ever seen, is enough. WE the People, have a REAL fight here at the homefront. Age is unimportant in fighting for OUR country's very survival. We aren't in a physical shooting war here, yet, so BRAINS and FAITH are OUR weapons in THIS battle. It starts at home in the family and in neighborhoods and towns and cities and states.
Keep informed and get involved ! Send cards and letters of thanks and just everyday news to our boys and girls in the sandbox. We HAVE to reinforce their morale and let 'em know We the People have their backs.
God bless each and every American in any uniform of OUR Nation ANYwhere in the World.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:06 AM
Scooterz
RACING JUNKIE

"DoubleD"... thanks for the great post. In my mind I could feel the grim ending until a mans bravery prevailed... awesome!! I think you are right- given the opperunity & in the heat of the moment, we can do some incredible things. You are a great American DD.

Outlaw... don't feel guilty, you are a great guy who can make a difference now. Hell, I didn't go to Nam either... cuz I was only a sperm cell then. Anyways, DD is right that we have some real issues we face today... we need to stick together!! Scooter