Any suggestions have I been screwed?

Old 12-13-2008, 05:06 AM
chpseat987
CRAFTSMAN

Default Any suggestions have I been screwed?

I just purchased a race car from a user here at racejunk, here is what he said the car had in it.

VERY NICE 1972 CHEVY NOVA SS 427 BB BUILT BY BOWERS RACING ENGINES 575HP VERY FAST AND FUN IT HAS CAST IRON HEADS WITH CROWER ROLLER ROCKERS AND VALVETRAIN OVER SIZE VALVES FULLY PORTED AND POLISHED AROUND .600LIFT ON CAM SOLID LIFTERS CHROME ERSON VALVE COVERS AND DRESS UP KIT WEIAND TEAM G SINGLE PLANE HIGHRISE INTAKE MANIFOLD HOLLY 850 CARB HOOKER COMP HEADERS FULLY BALANCED AND BLUE PRINTED FORGED ROTATING ASSEMBLY 11.5TO1 PISTON TOPS MOTOR WAS BUILT FOR NITROUS BUT ITS FAST ENOUGH ALREADY SO NEVER INSTALLED NITROUS BRAND NEW MSD IGNITION SYSTEM

I pulled the motor down to inssure its freshness and sent it to my machine shop, turns out the valves are just stock valves, it has 9 to 1 pistons the bearings are trashed, the pistons have been hitting the heads, ( worng heads) the cam in unidentiable, it has herbert lifters and crowler rockes, the person told me that he spent 10,000 on this bowers racing engine when i called that buisness they said they know the person but never built the engine, my machinist laughes when i told him all the specs that the engine was supposed to have and he said there was no way this engnie had barley 400 hp and it looks like someone just through a bunch of old used parts in it ot get it running, so now i am havinf to put beetween 3 and 4 grand back into this engine to get it were this guy told me it was. I called him and aked him to work with me to make this right and he said everything he posted is what the person told him the engine had in it, he wanted to call that person and he would call me back the next day. I told him that I am very nervous about the tranny now and if it was really what he said it was and I am maxing out my cc to get the engine right, I am out of money and most of my patients now.Today is day 2 with no call back.

I dont want to post the add or his name yet, Im a nice guy i guess and still giving him a chance to make it right beetween us.

Have i been screwed? :shock:

sorry gramer and spellings sucks writing this upset's me.
Old 12-13-2008, 07:03 AM
mytmouz
RACING JUNKIE

It may not be the seller, they could have been a victim also. I'm not taking sides, I do remember the threads on Bowers on here. Below is one of them. If you do a search, you will find some more...

http://forums.racingjunk.com/viewtop...ghlight=bowers
Old 12-13-2008, 07:07 AM
mopar1968
RACING JUNKIE

I agree i would ask the seller about it but he could have been taken also. ''just my two cent's worth''
Old 12-13-2008, 08:01 AM
chpseat987
CRAFTSMAN

Wow thats an intersting thread on Bowers Engine's. Ya i am holding tight for now giving the guy a chance to get back with me he sounded like he really wanted to make things right. Thank you for your reply I was looking for some goos advise on this. I just purchased 1,100 worth of alunimum heads for this engine from Murray on race junk has any one delt with him i am extremly nervous after this whole car deal.
Old 12-13-2008, 09:34 AM
mytmouz
RACING JUNKIE

Looks like your safe with the heads...

http://forums.racingjunk.com/viewtopic.php?t=5812
Old 12-13-2008, 05:42 PM
wlpatterson
EXPERT BUILDER

Default Sellers responsibility

When you sell something,you should not depend on what someone else told you when you bought it-Its totally the sellers responsibility to know what hes selling-I lost what I thought was my best friend over the exact deal-I purchased a BBC from him with a complete list of what was in the motor-I inturn resold it to another person taking my friends word on it & guess what??Right,The person I sold it to tore it down & it was JUNK!!! I(of course) returned every cent back to the guy I sold it to & My good buddy SCREWED ME!!-If I sell you a motor you can rest assured its what I advertise--Screw me once shame on you,screw me again--Oh well you know the old saying--
Old 12-13-2008, 05:58 PM
hollowayshotrods
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: Sellers responsibility

Originally Posted by wlpatterson
When you sell something,you should not depend on what someone else told you when you bought it-Its totally the sellers responsibility to know what hes selling-I lost what I thought was my best friend over the exact deal-I purchased a BBC from him with a complete list of what was in the motor-I inturn resold it to another person taking my friends word on it & guess what??Right,The person I sold it to tore it down & it was JUNK!!! I(of course) returned every cent back to the guy I sold it to & My good buddy SCREWED ME!!-If I sell you a motor you can rest assured its what I advertise--Screw me once shame on you,screw me again--Oh well you know the old saying--
I completely agree. Should you advertise something in detail, you are responsible for those details. Did the ad say"This is what the guy I got it from said was in it"? I find that highly unlikely since folks don't like to buy stuff when they don't know what it is, which in turn, makes it DAMN HARD to sell if you tell them you don't know either. Bottom line is, you are responsible for what you advertise........period.

In answer to your question.....Yes sir, you have been screwed.
Old 12-14-2008, 07:14 AM
bubbabbc
JUNIOR BUILDER

If it's the Murray I'm thinking about (if I remember correctly, he's from Canada and works directly with his friend who owns a machine shop) you'll be ok. I've talked to this guy (both buying and selling) and he appears to be a straight shooter. Just remember, some guys that get on here and bash a seller don't tell all the facts. You must be very clear when dealing by phone or the net. I have bought and been disappointed when I didn't receive what I thought I paid for. When I called the seller, talked with him and re-read the ad or offer, it differed from what I thought I was getting. It was my error. Just my two cents.
Old 12-14-2008, 07:41 AM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Murray is TOP NOTCH :!: .
I have owned one of his personal engines in the past..GREAT ENGINE!

Very Fast and Reliable.

Can't go wrong with Murray.

Brian

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 12-15-2008, 06:41 AM
chpseat987
CRAFTSMAN

Thats great news about Murray thank you, I wasnt saying he was bad i was just unsure, but your threads make me feell alot better, No one could beat his price Aluminum, oval port, open chamber BB heads for 919.00 plus 100 bucks shipping. But the other guy I am going to call again tonight try to get an answer from him, I dont want all my money back I am just asking him to make it fair, like a grand back to help cover the
un- planned expenses you know.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -