dragster ?

Old 12-03-2008, 09:36 AM
john858
EXPERT BUILDER

Default dragster ?

how hard are they on your back ? i have a bad back
( still work everyday) and after i race my door car it gets pretty rough the next day or two, i thought about getting a dragster but i,m afraid it would be worse. its been so bad lately i'm worried & depressed i,m might have to quit racing & thats a hard thing to deal with because i love racing so much & i'm only 36. i value your guys opinions & would like your thoughts on this.
thanks john
Old 12-03-2008, 10:58 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: dragster ?

Originally Posted by john858
how hard are they on your back ? i have a bad back
( still work everyday) and after i race my door car it gets pretty rough the next day or two, i thought about getting a dragster but i,m afraid it would be worse. its been so bad lately i'm worried & depressed i,m might have to quit racing & thats a hard thing to deal with because i love racing so much & i'm only 36. i value your guys opinions & would like your thoughts on this.
thanks john
Hey John sorry to hear of the brack troubles. Here will be
my take on them I've drove all types of dragsters at somepoint,hardtail,slipjoint,suspended and now dual suspended.
At the end of a day in a hardtail or slipjoint car if the pits are raugh you are going to feel you just went 10 rounds in the ring. A suspended car will save you all this trouble and be smoother on the track.

I actually have a local guy who has a terrible bad back, so much that he also is having a hard time racing his camaro. He came down asking the very same question you are, I let him sit in my car and he had a little bit of a hard time getting out without some help, my best advice on this is if you havent sat in a dragster see if someone locally. A older car is going to have a lay down seat compared to the new cars which are more upright and easier on the back. Hope this helps
Old 12-03-2008, 11:08 AM
curtisreed
RACING JUNKIE

I think one other thing to consider about a dragster is lifting your leg over getting in, like David said I would do it some before buying a car. Our slipjoint car is definitely harder on my back than my roadster, but both require you to step over into and pull yourself up out of them. Better try it some.

Curtis
Old 12-03-2008, 11:32 AM
vega34
SENIOR BUILDER

so i guess i better get a 4 link and no hardtail,,,,i'm 34 and they want to cut on my back,but we are going to try different stuff first(money runaround)and yes i still clime the roofs,,
Old 12-03-2008, 11:45 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by vega34
so i guess i better get a 4 link and no hardtail,,,,i'm 34 and they want to cut on my back,but we are going to try different stuff first(money runaround)and yes i still clime the roofs,,
Yes better on the body to get a suspended car for sure.
I am 24 and my current car was a hardtail 2 years ago when I purchased it, didnt plan on putting a suspension on it untill I drove it through the pits the first time. I'd forgot how much they flex and beat ya up.
Old 12-03-2008, 03:08 PM
shawnp
RACING JUNKIE

The dragster is going to hit you harder then a door car. IMHO, if you have both a dragster and a door car that can 60 foot the same, it will still be a harder impact to the body in a dragster. Dave makes a very good point in telling you to go sit in the car and get in and out. If you can do it, you want to soften that hit as much as possible. You can do this thru launch RPM, shift points and converter. For example, one of our current converters will 60 foot 1.20 but run 7.90's. Our Hughes will 60 foot 1.12 and run low 90's high 7.80's. If we set the shift up to launch 4400 and shift at 5000, it takes the 60 foot to 1.40's. Many different things to try if you are comfortable getting in and out.
Old 12-09-2008, 08:15 PM
sxfreak2002
APPRENTICE

Default dragster

i have had 3 operations on my back 2 fusions. and i have drove a hard tail for a couple years and now in a suspended car and the 4 link is better but the hard tail wasnt too bad.i have to pick my leg up with the pant leg to get in but used to it now. only one side i can get in but well worth the ride.i do have a padded seat that seams to help a little.you may even try a little extra padding in your door car first. but the dragster is a very fun ride . maybe not quite as exciting as the door car at times but alot of fun and very hard to beat.not to mention working on them. now i do also bowl ride dirt bikes and still work as a plumber every day. so the docs did a very good job on me so that helps a ton.but still hurt everyday just not enough to keep me from racing.if you live close to missouri maybe you can take a ride in my car and see for your self. or maybe someone in your neck would let you give it a go.what ever you decide hope it works for you i know what it means for all of us to be out there doing what we do.
Old 12-09-2008, 08:18 PM
sxfreak2002
APPRENTICE

Default dragster

im leaving at 6400 and 60ft108 109 and it seems pretty soft compared to the hard tail car.hope all this reading helps lol.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:53 AM
john858
EXPERT BUILDER

thanks guys for all the replies,if i don't sell my car this winter i think i'm going to no box race this coming year for a change until i can get me a dragster. good diggers aren't cheap & i don't like to settle for something i wouldn't be happy in. also thanks for the words of encouragement my back gets me down from time to time but i'm not going to let it beat me :wink: