Torque Converter Help!!!!!

Old 11-27-2008, 09:30 AM
MillerTime12
APPRENTICE

Default Torque Converter Help!!!!!

Ive got my engine for my '89 camaro almost done, but i need some suggestions on what stall torque converter i need.
The engine is a 383 w/ 291 heads, and a cam with a range from 3800 to 7200, valve float at 7400.
I want enough stall to get this BIG car leaving hard off the line with out over doing it and spinning too much.
Im hoping i can use the stock 16 in. wheels and 3.73 rear end for a while before changing to a 4.56 gear later next year.
Thanks for your suggestions,
Dillon
Old 12-14-2008, 10:09 AM
russ67chevelle
EXPERT BUILDER

CONVERTER SHOULD MATCH CAM UNLESS VEHICLE CANT HOLD TIRES DOWN THEN LESS STALL SHOULD BE USED,SO WITH THAT BEING IM GUESSING OFF HAND YOUR IN 9" LAND,PROBABLY A DOZEN GOOD CONVERTER COMPANYS TO CHOOSE FROM.I WAS JUST AT COAN LAST WEEK THEY HAVE A LOT OF SALES GOING ON,,,

ESSENTIALLY FIND A CONVERTER THAT WILL LAUNCH CAR @ PEAK TORQUE OR SLIGTLY LESS.I CANT TAKE MUCH OF A GUESS WITHOUT KNOWING EXACT SPECS OF COMPLETE VEHICLE COMBO,BUT IM GUESSING A 4500 STALL MIGHT BE IN THE RIGHT BALL PARK...
Old 12-24-2008, 04:20 AM
zulu9595
SHOW GUEST

Saw your need for a converter. Keep one thing in mind. What ever you come up with in stall rpm's needed, add 500. I've never bought a converter and have it stall at advertized rpm's. They allways stall lower.

Dan