406 on pump gas

Old 11-24-2008, 05:55 PM
PottCountyCustom
SHOW GUEST

Default 406 on pump gas

Hey guys. first time posting here so cut me a little slack. I've got a 406 sbc with vortec heads, shaved a little with 2.02 1.60 valves, rpm air gap manifold, 750hp carb, 292 lunati cam bracket 2, probe dished forged pistons around 9.5cr. I race mud. 3.73 gears, 208 in low range. 34 and 36 tire classes. rules dictate i gotta run pump gas in the classes i run. been looking at the big port vortec bowtie heads. you all think its worth shelling down the bones to upgrade? Any guesses what power increase i would net. Thought about also going to a full roller setup, but wasn't sure it would justify the expense, ie retro fit lifters and a new roller cam, new rockers. on side note, do you still have to use self aligning rockers with bowtie vortecs. Runs good as is but, always trying to keep a step on competion. thanks guys
Old 11-25-2008, 05:09 PM
PottCountyCustom
SHOW GUEST

no ideas looking for help guys
Old 11-25-2008, 05:40 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Hey ,

i read your post the other day..sorry for long delay...a few thoughts from my end.
i would leave the current heads alone..its a good bottom end head. i think the roller is a good thought beacuse of the pontential increase in ramp speed..which can help your bottom end as well..i just don't think your gonna see the best bang for the buck going with the Bigger port head your speaking of..you could very well lose some valuable TQ here going with a bigger head...i would think you need more of a torqy engine in your sport.

You can also angle mill the heads you got and get the compression up to 10:1 and still run pump gas.

what many people don't know is that if you did run higher octane Fuel (ex: 110) it would work against the lower compression engine

if they are not checking fuel (hydrometer) you can Mix some VP-C44 with your pump gas and it will wake up that bad boy up....you DO NOT want to know the price.

hope this helps some...its just My opinion anyhow..outside of the c-44..its fact ! 8)

ps: Welcome to the forum

Brian

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 11-27-2008, 05:30 AM
PottCountyCustom
SHOW GUEST

Default thanks bjuice

thanks for the input. Tq was was what i was aiming for when i built this motor. That and a motor I didn't have to turn 7000 rpm. It does me pretty good, just looking 4 a little more 4 them times there's a harder pit and make a quicker pass.