How long should I wait?

Old 11-19-2008, 03:25 PM
bowtie4542001
DYNO OPERATOR

Default How long should I wait?

Hey guys,

I will be painting my 68 Camaro over the winter and would like to get some information. I have thought about paint schemes and narrowed it down to Black w/yellow racing stripes, Yellow w/black racing stripes or Kobalt blue w/ silver or white racing stripes. My question is how long should I let the base coat dry before taping the car off to paint the stripes? Thank you in advance for you advice and suggestions. Also if anyone has any ideas about paint schemes for a 68 Camaro with a 6" cowl hood, please let me know. It has to be pretty simple because this will be my first paint job. I figured I would do it myself that way, if I mess up I have noone to blame except myself.

Chris
Old 11-19-2008, 06:01 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Hey Cris..just some food for thought..if your gonna do the 1st time paint thing on your car.. and if its in efforts to save money only..you might want to check on the "Peach" or "Macco" discount paint jobs.....they can paint your entire car cheaper then you can buy the PAINT ALONE !

I gave my buddy a bunch of CHIT for taking one of his drag cars there..but damn if it didn't look decent when he got it back.....all for the low cost of $300.00...

the key with these companies is that they do not do much prep work. Bondo,blocking etc..they will just sand enough for paint adhesion...

you may consider doing the prep work yourself and get that bad boy straight and smooth and let them spray it.....just a thought from your ole friend here in S.C.

Hotrod is a painter i am sure he can tell you a few things..

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 11-20-2008, 05:00 AM
kwkracing
RACING JUNKIE

15-20 minutes after spraying base coat and you can normally tape, i also do not know what the temp is where you live. The most user friendly is to spray the base coat, then spray a coat of clear, let it dry for half a day and the tape sticks alot easier and the base under is sealer up. Spray the stripes and clear again over the striped area. Do this two or so times and after each clear dries sand the ridge left by the tape down with 320 or so. Then once its gone, spray you final 2 coats of clear

Hope this helps
Old 11-20-2008, 08:13 AM
bowtie4542001
DYNO OPERATOR

Originally Posted by bjuice
Hey Cris..just some food for thought..if your gonna do the 1st time paint thing on your car.. and if its in efforts to save money only..you might want to check on the "Peach" or "Macco" discount paint jobs.....they can paint your entire car cheaper then you can buy the PAINT ALONE !

I gave my buddy a bunch of CHIT for taking one of his drag cars there..but damn if it didn't look decent when he got it back.....all for the low cost of $300.00...

the key with these companies is that they do not do much prep work. Bondo,blocking etc..they will just sand enough for paint adhesion...

you may consider doing the prep work yourself and get that bad boy straight and smooth and let them spray it.....just a thought from your ole friend here in S.C.

Hotrod is a painter i am sure he can tell you a few things..
Hey Brian,
Its not really a money issue, I have always wanted to learn how to paint so I figured this would be the time to do it. Hopefully it will turn out good. I know that the prep work is what makes or breaks a paint job. I am going to take my time and do it right. Glad to hear you got the Camaro running again. Next season I am going to have to bring my Camaro up there. I see were you are going to rewire your Camaro, I am going to do the same thing with mine. I don't see why people can not make a wiring job neat. Easier to troubleshoot if something happens. Take it easy my friend and I will talk to you later.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:45 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Good deal...let us know how it turns out...next year if anything we maybe can meet 1/2 way in commerce or something..i will even put me in a 1/4 gear.

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 11-20-2008, 02:03 PM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

Check this out as an option. Premixed, affordable, decent quality for DIY's

http://duplicolor.com/products/paintshop.html
Old 11-21-2008, 06:08 AM
bowtie4542001
DYNO OPERATOR

Originally Posted by DrivingMissDD
Check this out as an option. Premixed, affordable, decent quality for DIY's

http://duplicolor.com/products/paintshop.html
Appreciate the site MissDD
Old 11-21-2008, 06:09 AM
bowtie4542001
DYNO OPERATOR

Originally Posted by bjuice
Good deal...let us know how it turns out...next year if anything we maybe can meet 1/2 way in commerce or something..i will even put me in a 1/4 gear.
Sounds like a plan to me.
Old 11-23-2008, 08:11 PM
hotrodharley
EXPERT BUILDER

Default Re: How long should I wait?

Originally Posted by bowtie4542001
Hey guys,

I will be painting my 68 Camaro over the winter and would like to get some information. I have thought about paint schemes and narrowed it down to Black w/yellow racing stripes, Yellow w/black racing stripes or Kobalt blue w/ silver or white racing stripes. My question is how long should I let the base coat dry before taping the car off to paint the stripes? Thank you in advance for you advice and suggestions. Also if anyone has any ideas about paint schemes for a 68 Camaro with a 6" cowl hood, please let me know. It has to be pretty simple because this will be my first paint job. I figured I would do it myself that way, if I mess up I have noone to blame except myself.

Chris
bowtie;;it is according to what type paint and what brand you use..lets say you are using dupoint..if it is there chromabase then once you spray your base you wait 30 mint. then you can mask off the base and spray the stripes..wait 30 mint. after spraying straps and you can start spraying your clear..now if using dupoints nason brand paint you will need to wait at least 4 hours before taping and spraying stripes..every paint company is different on these times.also very impotant to make sure you use good grade masking tape..do not cut corners on masking tape..cheap tape can and will miss up a perfect paint job.also don't use newspaper.ink from paper will bleed into your paint.buy masking paper for parts store you buy your paint from..it isn't very expensive.i'm saying a roll is around $15.00 and it will do many cars.if you want you can PM me or call me and i'll try and get you going..
Old 11-25-2008, 12:40 PM
bowtie4542001
DYNO OPERATOR

Default Re: How long should I wait?

Originally Posted by hotrodharley
Originally Posted by bowtie4542001
Hey guys,

Chris
Thanks Hotrod, I will be contacting you soon. Still don't know what kind of gun to buy, should I use the same gun for primer as well as the paint. So many questions.

Chris

bowtie;;it is according to what type paint and what brand you use..lets say you are using dupoint..if it is there chromabase then once you spray your base you wait 30 mint. then you can mask off the base and spray the stripes..wait 30 mint. after spraying straps and you can start spraying your clear..now if using dupoints nason brand paint you will need to wait at least 4 hours before taping and spraying stripes..every paint company is different on these times.also very impotant to make sure you use good grade masking tape..do not cut corners on masking tape..cheap tape can and will miss up a perfect paint job.also don't use newspaper.ink from paper will bleed into your paint.buy masking paper for parts store you buy your paint from..it isn't very expensive.i'm saying a roll is around $15.00 and it will do many cars.if you want you can PM me or call me and i'll try and get you going..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -