Help with storing tips on my new engine?

Old 11-17-2008, 08:45 PM
chevy67deuce
APPRENTICE

Default Help with storing tips on my new engine?

I just got my long block 540 And my car wont be ready for a year or so.The 540 is brand new.Any tips on storing this engine?Should I turn It once in a while to decompress the springs?Should I spray some type of lube in the cylinders to keep the rings from sticking?If so what lube do I use.What other things should I consider.Should I put oil in it and prime it once in a while?Any help will be great.Thanks in advance...Brian PS. This is a 540 long block with dart 355 cnc set up for blower app.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:31 AM
gnsrule
SENIOR BUILDER

I'd pull the plugs, spray the cylinders down w/ some PB Blaster, loosen the rockers to take the pressure off the springs and tape up every orfice and bag it w/ a garbage bag.
When the time comes, dont forget to prelube it.
Good Luck

Craig
Old 11-18-2008, 04:39 AM
chevy67deuce
APPRENTICE

What is pb blaster?
Old 11-18-2008, 06:45 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by chevy67deuce
What is pb blaster?
http://www.pbblaster.com/aboutus.html
Old 11-18-2008, 08:45 AM
zerotolerance
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

not to dissagree with anybody but dont use pb blaster get your self some fogging spray or zep 45. i used pb blaster in a short block once and used every percausion and the pb actually stained my cyclinder bore and i had rust stain that i had to use clr on to remove.i even turned the motor over weekely on the stand had it bagged and all. since then i have used fogging oil spray or zep 45 spray it has teflon in it that stuff works great it puts a nice coating on things
Old 11-18-2008, 09:25 AM
chevy67deuce
APPRENTICE

Where do I buy the zep 45 spray?What all should I spray with it?How often should I spray?Should I turn the engine once a week after spraying?Thanks for your help.