Thread: Help with storing tips on my new engine?

Help with storing tips on my new engine?

I just got my long block 540 And my car wont be ready for a year or so.The 540 is brand new.Any tips on storing this engine?Should I turn It once in a while to decompress the springs?Should I spray some type of lube in the cylinders to keep the rings from sticking?If so what lube do I use.What other things should I consider.Should I put oil in it and prime it once in a while?Any help will be great.Thanks in advance...Brian PS. This is a 540 long block with dart 355 cnc set up for blower app.

Senior Member SENIOR BUILDER
    I'd pull the plugs, spray the cylinders down w/ some PB Blaster, loosen the rockers to take the pressure off the springs and tape up every orfice and bag it w/ a garbage bag.
    When the time comes, dont forget to prelube it.
    Good Luck

Craig

What is pb blaster?

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy67deuce
    What is pb blaster?
    http://www.pbblaster.com/aboutus.html
    David Lanning
    IHRA NHRA 387B

Fleenor Racing Transmission
    419-280-1406
    Lanning Electric
    Complete Drag Car Wiring
    APD Race Engines
    www.apdracing.com

not to dissagree with anybody but dont use pb blaster get your self some fogging spray or zep 45. i used pb blaster in a short block once and used every percausion and the pb actually stained my cyclinder bore and i had rust stain that i had to use clr on to remove.i even turned the motor over weekely on the stand had it bagged and all. since then i have used fogging oil spray or zep 45 spray it has teflon in it that stuff works great it puts a nice coating on things

Where do I buy the zep 45 spray?What all should I spray with it?How often should I spray?Should I turn the engine once a week after spraying?Thanks for your help.