billet crankshaft

Old 11-13-2008, 10:42 PM
michael1
MASTER BUILDER

Default billet crankshaft

Has anyone used one of the billet cranks from ohio crankshaft? They are really good on price but I was wondering about the quality.Also wondering about their aluminum rods.Thanks
Old 11-14-2008, 02:18 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: billet crankshaft

Originally Posted by michael1
Has anyone used one of the billet cranks from ohio crankshaft? They are really good on price but I was wondering about the quality.Also wondering about their aluminum rods.Thanks
When OC first came out they had some bad stuff but as of late they have put out some good parts. I wouldnt be affraid to use them.

Not speaking of the alum rods just the crank .. never seen anyone use the alum rods they offer
Old 11-14-2008, 04:21 AM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

You beter check everything. I bought an unassembled shortblock from them. The crank measured great but after running it a short time the number 2 and number 4 main bearings were looking bad. It ended up the balance on the rotating assembly was off and the main bores in the block were too tight. Apparently,according to my machine shop guy, all of the new Merlin and Dart blocks usually need align honed and this one had not been. Glad I caught it before any damage was done...other than the bearings. That's what I get for not checking every bearing while assembling it...But the crank measured great..not tapered in the journals,which is what everyone says was their problem.

Oh I just noticed the billet part....mine is just the forged crank. ops:
Old 11-14-2008, 03:49 PM
michael1
MASTER BUILDER

If I use the ohio billet crank and use a set of oliver rods do you think everything will be fine or should I go with a callies or howards crank.
Old 11-14-2008, 03:55 PM
lmchevy
JUNIOR BUILDER

Default crank

I use one of the Ohio Billet cranks.I have had good luck with their products.I know it is hard to do but you just have to make a decision on what to use.If you ask around enough you will hear bad things about almost any brand.Good luck.
Old 11-14-2008, 07:03 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by michael1
If I use the ohio billet crank and use a set of oliver rods do you think everything will be fine or should I go with a callies or howards crank.
Get the best one that you can afford.
Old 11-18-2008, 03:37 PM
top2096
SHOW GUEST

Default crank

try a cola crank I've been running the same cola crank for over 7 years in my Dragster , the whole life of a crank is the balancing ,at the end of the second year my bearing still look new I would put them into a street motor and not worry about it
Old 11-18-2008, 04:23 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: crank

Originally Posted by top2096
try a cola crank I've been running the same cola crank for over 7 years in my Dragster , the whole life of a crank is the balancing ,at the end of the second year my bearing still look new I would put them into a street motor and not worry about it
x2 on the balancing...i also had a cola several years ago with good luck..
i now run Callies ( crank and rods)

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 11-28-2008, 08:49 AM
michael1
MASTER BUILDER

Thanks for all the info,I decided I'm going with the callies crank.
Old 12-26-2008, 10:14 AM
Pwmax
MASTER BUILDER

Tod74, curious, did your Ohio kit that was un-assembled I take it? Were any of the parts taken out of the packages? Like the rods taken out of the protective plastic, the bearings and rings opened? The pistons un-wrapped and taken out of the package? Just curious. I have seen that more than once, when guys bring in Pre=balanced rotating assemblies, because they can get a way better "deal". Not being sarcastic, just wanting to mention this, so all the guys looking at price, of what appears to be the exact same parts, what you are getting. I call it a generic balance job, and not a precision race balance job. The difference is just that. They take a "generic" bob weight, for similiar parts, that they weighed one piston, and one rod for, and use those figures, for everyone they do. This simplifies the balance job. Simply make up the bob weight for the generic specs, slam them on the crank, spin it up, drill a couple holes, and call it "Precision race balanced". What you really get, is a balance job, that is sorta close, but not really, 15 or so grams, is good enough, I mean, come on, what do you expect for that price? lol

Frank

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -