Redline Oil Products

Old 11-10-2008, 04:19 PM
dynaguy03
MASTER BUILDER

Default Redline Oil Products

Anyone have any experiance with Redline products??. They have a very interesting gear lube for the rear called "shockproof gear oil.
They make some pretty bold claims.. like "lowers rear temp 20-70 degrees"
Any feed back is appreciated

Thank
Keith
Old 02-02-2009, 07:14 AM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

We use it almost exclusively, in the upper speed classes in Open Road Racing. With our extended high speed very high heat producing runs, synthetic is the only lube that will live. Even still we use rear end coolers as well. Redline is what I use as it the only PURELY synthetic on the market. All others are combinations.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:38 AM
TopspeedLowet
DYNO OPERATOR

The value of the reduced temps of 70 degrees is of course, a comparison between a low grade crude lube verses there synthetic. There is no doubt that this temp differential is likely. All excellent synthetic racing engine oils are rated and graded at a particular operating temperature. The good ol 10W-40 sae ratings are all made at two temperature's to measure the viscosity against each other in stock OE applications. Redline, Joe Gibbs and a few others direct oil choices based on bearing clereance, expected operating temp's and RPM's. In pro stock drag racing the oil viscosity is extremely thin because the engine oil will be near 70 degrees F and high RPM operating conditions. A bracket racer with a large cube engine will require a higher viscosity oil for the likely 190 to 200 deg F oil temps that are possible to maintain any kind of oil pressure and protection.
The shock proof oil label is a cleaver way to word that it is appropriate for drag racing high powered conditions. Other brands have not bothered to word it that way yet. The differential viscosity for a say 1000 + hp engine should be using a 90-145 viscosity and not the thinner 80-90. The viscosity is measured at a temp. Measure up the oil that best suits your application, temperature, bearing cl and RPM and you will have done the best any one could do. And to agree with DrivengmissDD, Red line makes a great product and so does Joe Gibbs whom has a web site that spells out the method to select the appropriate lube for any application. You could use that info and extrapolate it to other brands that you might prefer over gibbs.
They both use temp based applications and that will give you the best protection and performance from your engine. And always use a quality Synthetic in all racing differentials, always, always.
Food for thought.......
Old 02-02-2009, 03:01 PM
Scooterz
RACING JUNKIE

dynaguy: I use all Red line products (even 2 stoke oil in my d-bikes). I have ment the CEO once for Red Line @ a show. He said that all synthetic oils contain much of the same ingredients which all come from the same central supplier. Many synthetics have different levels of ingredients however. Like Double-D said, it is the purest synthetic out there. As you probably know, some others have petrolium ingredients too. I run 20/50 Red Line in my BBC. As noted earlier, it has a higher "sheer wear/ viscosity" rating that the others. Good luck Scooter