question about dragster

Old 11-06-2008, 01:37 PM
vega34
SENIOR BUILDER

Default question about dragster

i'm looking to trade/buy a dragster,i would like to have a newer 4-link but,heres my ?

whats the best one to buy,4 link,x link,slip joint,swing arm,hard tail,

i found a 1996 225" hardtail built by ed quay,the only reason i would consider this one is i can trade my 77 vega wagon turn key for this roller w/trans and radiater,i was asking $9500 for mine,so what you guys think,is this to old,if you want to see the dragster go to (WWW.HOLIDAYRACEWAY.COM,MESSAGE BOARD,ED QUAY 225" DRAGSTER) ,and if you want to see mine look in racing junk classifieds ad #1359714,,will it drive rough,should i look to buy a 4-link,any help will be appreciated,,steve
Old 11-06-2008, 02:25 PM
bowtie4542001
DYNO OPERATOR

Hammertime should be abe to answer this one. He has helped me out alot.

Chris
Old 11-06-2008, 02:42 PM
sc4405
JUNIOR BUILDER

Four-links are proven better at getting down marginal tracks. If you race only on table-top smooth tracks with alot of teeth, the hardtail is faster and will repeat. Suspended cars have a tremendous edge at resale time, but if a guy got into a really good late model hardtail for cheap, you could always have it four-linked, swingarmed, or whatever's the latest buzz. I have seen more than one hardtail car with broken uprights from running on rough tracks - you have to look CAREFULLY at a used hardtail, both with the body on and completely naked. I'll let others add more comments..... 8) JB
Old 11-06-2008, 03:16 PM
shawnp
RACING JUNKIE

We started about 10 years ago with a 1996 Mullis slip joint car. After 1 year we had a mono shock swingarm added and have never even considered going back to a slip joint car. The swingarm/x-link in my mind is the best design. Don't get me wrong, a 4-link car is also a good option but the swingarm car will not allow for side to side movement when racing the finish line. Watch a 4-link car that has a wishbone. You can watch the scoop move side to side when ripping the throttle or even when lifting. A swingarm will not do that. For the price of cars and knowing the economy, I would think that you could hold out for a newer car. I have a friend that has a 200 Racetech 4-link for $13K on RJ and I have my 08 swingarm on RJ. My other buddy has a 2001 Diamond swingarm for $13K on here. If you have $9500 in a 1996, you will have roughly $4K in a backhalf once it is done. You are better off to spend the money for the suspension now.
Old 11-07-2008, 03:05 AM
vega34
SENIOR BUILDER

thanks guys,,,whats the ad # on those dragsters,,,thaxs steve
Old 11-07-2008, 04:28 AM
shawnp
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by vega34
thanks guys,,,whats the ad # on those dragsters,,,thaxs steve

1360160, 1358164, 1360654 and 1354552 Mine is in Alliance, OH and Ronnie's in Bedford, OH. Evan is the car in Mason, OH. Bill is the Diamond in Rochester, PA.
Old 11-07-2008, 03:20 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

[quote="shawnp"] Don't get me wrong, a 4-link car is also a good option but the swingarm car will not allow for side to side movement when racing the finish line. Watch a 4-link car that has a wishbone. You can watch the scoop move side to side when ripping the throttle or even when lifting. A swingarm will not do that. For the price of cars and knowing the economy, I would think that you could hold out for a newer car. quote]

Shawn is dead on with the swingarm not allowing any side to side movement. I've had hardtails, slipjoints, 4 link, swingarm and now dual suspended car. The swingarm is the best IMO

I purchased a slipjoint car last year and had it redone, if you do get it and want to backhalf it, get ahold of Diamond Race Cars he does more backhalfs and updates then any dragster builder out there.
Old 11-08-2008, 03:11 PM
vega34
SENIOR BUILDER

so did you guys go look at the hardtail dragsters,if so what did you think of it,to look at it go to (www.holidayraceway.com,message board ed quay 225",,i want a swing arm/4-link,but my gosh its going to be a while before i can give 20-30grand for just roller,so this hardtail i can trade even w/out motor in the dragster,i know hardtails are rough,but i'm probley going to be running around 5.40-5.60 in the 1/8th and we have a pretty good track,probley going to take a while just to get a motor if i do trade,so if you got time go and look at the ed quay dragster and tell me what you think,good or bad,i know i need a swing arm/4-link but don't have 20,000,thanks for your help so far,,,steve
Old 11-08-2008, 03:16 PM
vega34
SENIOR BUILDER

http://www.holidayraceway.com/cgi-bi...=1&thread=1434
Old 11-08-2008, 04:36 PM
shawnp
RACING JUNKIE

Steve, if you don't have to trade, I posted an ad# for a 2000 Racetech. That car belongs to my friend Ronnie. I promise you he will make you a deal if you call. He has an 09 Mullis he has to finish and the Racetech HAS to be sold. IMO, the quay car is way too much at 15,500 rolling. The shifter in the car looks like an old Dixie shifter and definately older designs in the car. Not trying to offend anyone, just giving my opinion.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -