1st generation Camaro R&P:

Old 10-26-2008, 09:04 AM
Scooterz
RACING JUNKIE

Default 1st generation Camaro R&P:

Anyone out there install a rack & pinion on a BBC 1st gen. Camaro?? I want to know how involved it is, what kind is good, etc... I have BBC w/2" Hookers, & manual steering box right now (turning radius is about like a dump-truck HA HA!!) How much welding will I need to do? What are the "do's & don'ts" etc... I want a manual R&P too.
Old 10-26-2008, 09:57 AM
gearhead1011
EXPERT BUILDER

Tod74 is right about the bumpsteer. I just fixed a car last week the had an inch of toe change in 2 inches of suspension travel. This will make a car dangerous to drive. On the car I fixed instead of going to a bumpsteer kit I moved the rack mounts. I moved it down less than 1/4 of an inch to correct it. It has to be a lot better than "close enough".
Old 10-26-2008, 10:27 AM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by gearhead1011
Tod74 is right about the bumpsteer. I just fixed a car last week the had an inch of toe change in 2 inches of suspension travel. This will make a car dangerous to drive. On the car I fixed instead of going to a bumpsteer kit I moved the rack mounts. I moved it down less than 1/4 of an inch to correct it. It has to be a lot better than "close enough".
I deleted my post cause I knew somebody smarter than me would answer...
Old 10-26-2008, 05:52 PM
gearhead1011
EXPERT BUILDER

Originally Posted by Tod74
Originally Posted by gearhead1011
I deleted my post cause I knew somebody smarter than me would answer...
You shouldn't have. I don't have the info on the kits like your post had and don't know how well they work. You were correct to point out that bumpsteer can be a problem if the installation is wrong, I just gave an example.
Old 10-26-2008, 07:38 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Unisteer and flaming river both sell a bolt on kit and they claim to have the correct geometry to keep from having the bump steer issue. I was considering doing my car that way but changed my mind...I asked around on the boards and heard both good and bad things...I just wanted the weight break but decided it wasn't worth the 700 bucks for the kit.
Old 10-26-2008, 08:03 PM
Scooterz
RACING JUNKIE

Gentlemen:

Thank you. This is going to my winter project this year. Keep the advice comming. Tod, thanks for the links too. I will take everything I can get right now as I have never done a R&P installation. Thanks again!! Rigsby
Old 11-06-2008, 09:54 AM
radicalz
MASTER BUILDER

Default Re: 1st generation Camaro R&P:

Originally Posted by Rigsby
Anyone out there install a rack & pinion on a BBC 1st gen. Camaro?? I want to know how involved it is, what kind is good, etc... I have BBC w/2" Hookers, & manual steering box right now (turning radius is about like a dump-truck HA HA!!) How much welding will I need to do? What are the "do's & don'ts" etc... I want a manual R&P too.

I remember Super Chevy or Pop Hot Rodding doing a story on these kits will go searching......I think they are front streer...meaning attach to the front of cross memember.....I think it is a Flaming River set or systmen but not sure....it interested me cause have genn 2 Camaro and wanted to lighten then front end a little....still thinking so I am watching this post tooo :wink: :wink: