Ignition Timing and Horsepower

Old 10-20-2008, 08:56 AM
cbgarage
SHOW GUEST

Default Ignition Timing and Horsepower

Been having a pretty good debate over timing and horsepower.

Theory 1:
Less timing = spark closer to TDC = more power
(Slower motor and will need more gear though)

Theory 2:
More timing = spark ahead of TDC = more power
(Faster motor and will need less gear)

This is for circle track motors. We're trying to decide if we want to back the timing down and put more gear in the car to help it pull down the straightaways as well as get off the corner faster or if we'd be wasting our time.

Any advice?
Old 10-20-2008, 02:16 PM
tcarda
MASTER BUILDER

Default Re: Ignition Timing and Horsepower

Originally Posted by cbgarage
Been having a pretty good debate over timing and horsepower.

Theory 1:
Less timing = spark closer to TDC = more power
(Slower motor and will need more gear though)

Theory 2:
More timing = spark ahead of TDC = more power
(Faster motor and will need less gear)

This is for circle track motors. We're trying to decide if we want to back the timing down and put more gear in the car to help it pull down the straightaways as well as get off the corner faster or if we'd be wasting our time.

Any advice?
Every engine is a little different. IMO, take you motor to the dyno and see what it likes for timing and jetting. This will take all the quess work out of it. Just my 2 pennies anyways.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:53 PM
maxpower671
SENIOR BUILDER

Default timing and jet changes

wouldn't a stop watch tell the story? if a change was beneficial or not? or no difference? assuming only making one change at a time...

and because a car can run a faster lap time, would it always be faster, like moving thru traffic, getting off the corners etc...

would the best tune on the dyno be the best tune for your track? or on another track? :wink:
Old 10-21-2008, 12:57 AM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

To many variables at a dirt track, it would almost be impossible to say that changing the timing a few degrees and or a slight gear change would make a difference, it could be a mulitude of things that can and will make the car faster or slower, just think about it.
But if it makes you more confident in your combo, you'll drive it harder, so it can make a mental difference which can be the most important change.
I'm with that other guy though dyno's dont lie, but then again nobody races dynos either.
JMO>Cp
Old 10-21-2008, 03:37 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

i come from a round track background...in GENERAL taking the timing down from its sweet spot will lug thecar somewhat off the corners..but then your trying to make this up by placing more gear in the car...what i would suggest is keeping the motor operating at its max potential( max timing) and test the car at whatever track you want to run..getting the right gear in rondy-round is critical..WAY TOO OFTEN round track drivers place way to much gear in the car...which causies the car to come off the corners hard ( sometime spinning) then the car stops pulling way before driving in the next turn..the best senerio is for the car to pull hard just up to the point of Lifting and setting up the next corner...Driver skills come into play here also..some can drive her deep some can't

Aspahlt racing requires a little looser car ( on the norm) allowing the driver to set up the car in the corners..

The success of a roundy-round car ( team) GREATLY depends on the driver and his ability to understand what is happening to the car and being able to communicate it back to the Crew chief..without this and your screwed...

One of our local short track superstars and one time craftsman truck driver ( Toby Porter) can get in a car another driver cannot get around the track and drive the wheels off it and when a race ( late model asphalt)

Bottom line you can have a weak motor with an awesome chassis set up and you can run up front in roundy round and many strong motors with Horrible handling chassis's run in the rear...SO YES a stop watch will come in more useful than a dyno in this case.

In My opinion there is much more invloved in ROUNDY-Round weekend warrior racing than Drag racing..i have done both.

Bubster is real good on Roundy-round set up s etc....

a couple of name here locally that has done well in DIRT TRACK is HOT-ROD LE-MANCE AND JOHNNY HIGHTOWER

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 11-26-2008, 04:47 PM
mopar1962
JUNIOR BUILDER

Thank goodness we mopar racers always set total. ops: