building a high rpm big block chevy

Old 10-14-2008, 06:57 PM
s10mudracer
SHOW GUEST

Default building a high rpm big block chevy

i would like some tips and advice on what to go with and how its been done let me know imm gonna build on this winter i would like 9000 rpm or a lil more with no worrys let me know any advice is better then none thanks :shock:
Old 10-15-2008, 04:21 AM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: building a high rpm big block chevy

Originally Posted by s10mudracer
i would like 9000 rpm or a lil more with no worrys :
My advice is
spare parts... lots of spare parts.
Old 10-15-2008, 04:41 AM
outlaw256
RACING JUNKIE

now that funny!!!!!!true but funny.
Old 10-15-2008, 06:09 AM
jmarksdragster
RACING JUNKIE

$$$$$ It ain't gonna be cheap!!!!

You are talking 15 to 20K worth of parts if you assemble it yourself and want it to live. Callies Magnum or Crower crank and GRP rods would be a good place to start. A block that will handle a very large bore with a short stroke would be the next to look for. And premium valvetrain components will be a must.

Now, why spin it so high? A lot of power to be made these days without resorting to high RPM.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:16 AM
nofear57
EXPERT BUILDER

Back in the mid 80's I ran a pure stock L-88 427,12.5:1 pistons and square port heads and it was all balanced. But I added a hugh .775 lift crane cam,triple springs,holley strip dominator intake with a 1050 carb. I buzzed it to 8,500rpm and it held together for one race season. The cam was way to much for the engine but it sure sounded good. Looking back I was very lucky the thing didn't split in two.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:32 AM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: building a high rpm big block chevy

Originally Posted by s10mudracer
i would like some tips and advice on what to go with and how its been done let me know imm gonna build on this winter i would like 9000 rpm or a lil more with no worrys let me know any advice is better then none thanks :shock:
reading your post word for word and taking it literal...

My straight to the point advise to you is..........

get $40,000 in $100 bills...contact an engine builder such as Gene Fulton, PAR race engines, Rear Morrsion, Steve Schimdt....etc...etc...etc...

take them the money (40k) and it will get you started..they will call you back when they need more...

don't even think the word Budget with what your thinking by reading your post..

seriously ! :shock:

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 10-15-2008, 10:19 AM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

I donot believe there is a 9,000RPM motor made that does not require a lot of maintance, look at the prostock guys, they check valve train every round and changing springs between rounds is common practice and they are running on 1.888 rod bearing and 3.25 stroke with 2.300 main bearings and i'll guarentee you those engines come down between races and everything is magnafluxed for cracks. Nascar engines run 500 miles but low compression and also small bearings and fully rollerized and tese motors cost well over $40,000.00 each. I don't think you can build one that will live like a bracket motor and not have to spend lots of money and lots of maintance. In another post i said i knew a guy who had a 288" Nickens and Brown motor that ran all season comming out of the hole at 10,500RPM and he did not break all season, but the car slowed down from 8.80's to 9.20's after about 50 passes.

JMO

Zip.
Old 10-15-2008, 11:35 AM
desoto30
JUNIOR BUILDER

Big ask, A really flash valvetrain,really short stroke,& a good amount of maintainance,& of course a healthy budget.That is what I found was required when I had an engine that fitted your description That was a long time ago & whereas it was good at the time Ive now gone soft & use cubes & go faster cheaper
Old 10-15-2008, 12:54 PM
curtisreed
RACING JUNKIE

The truth is that what he is asking for in the motor is intirely possible to build, as stated it will not be cheap. Nothing good is. The one thing that stands out to me that can't be done is "9000 rpm or a lil more with no worrys". Can't be done. If you are racing it there will be worries that's why there is maintenance done.

Curtis
Old 10-15-2008, 05:13 PM
kwkracing
RACING JUNKIE

hi

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -