2 stage NOS Testing before Use

Old 10-07-2008, 06:10 PM
dynaguy03
MASTER BUILDER

Default 2 stage NOS Testing before Use

Hello ..I have NOS 2 stage system on my 388 sbc. MSD Digital 6,crank trigger, Aeromotive fuel pump up to 1600hp w/return plumbed exactly as Aeromotive maps out, I have holley black pump just for NOS,Aeromotive reg. set at 9psi
I would like to know how to check my retard for each stage. i use a safety fuel pressure switch on the nos.. with a WOT switch. Im assumeing i need to jump out these 2 switches turn off fuel and nos. then activate each stage while having motor running and a timing light at the balancer.
Also i would like to know how to flow my fuel system for the NOS.
My goal is to run a small shot (75hp) on the first stage-turn off- then turn on 100hp second stage.

Sorry for being so long winded
Thanks in Advance
Keith
Old 10-07-2008, 06:47 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: 2 stage NOS Testing before Use

Originally Posted by dynaguy03
Hello ..I have NOS 2 stage system on my 388 sbc. MSD Digital 6,crank trigger, Aeromotive fuel pump up to 1600hp w/return plumbed exactly as Aeromotive maps out, I have holley black pump just for NOS,Aeromotive reg. set at 9psi
I would like to know how to check my retard for each stage. i use a safety fuel pressure switch on the nos.. with a WOT switch. Im assumeing i need to jump out these 2 switches turn off fuel and nos. then activate each stage while having motor running and a timing light at the balancer.
Also i would like to know how to flow my fuel system for the NOS.
My goal is to run a small shot (75hp) on the first stage-turn off- then turn on 100hp second stage.

Sorry for being so long winded
Thanks in Advance
Keith
This is how I check mine, takes 3 people could be done with 2 though.
Person one has the timing light and watches the timing (usually me)
person 2 is holding the WOT switch down and running the throttle up some 2200-2500 rpms,
person 3 is hitting the nitrous push button in the car, or whatever activates the timer for a short period of time.

I unhook the nitrous line off just to be safe, rev the motor up to burn the extra fuel the nitrous is shooting in. This is also a good time to check your fuel pressure when doing this. Works great for me. Could tape the WOT switch to stay on if you wanted to use 2 people instead.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:03 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

i ran a 200 shot on single stage with holley blue dedicated line with a holley silver regulator for NOS...Here is how i flowed..

i took a 3/8 pipe thread barb tipped fitting and placed in the fuel side of the regulator that would be feeding the fuel side of NOS. I attached a 3/8 rubbber hose and pushed in the other end whatever fuel pill i was using on the fuel side of NOS and secured it with a small hose clamp.
i took a small 2 gallon fuel tank and dropped the end of the Hose in the tank and had someone activate the Nos switch in the car..i watched the fuel pressure gauge on my Nos fuel regualtor and see how much it would drop under activation..
on my set up i had about 1lb drop in fuel pressure under activation...so i set my dead head pressure at 6lbs and it would drop to 5lbs..i also had the hoBB switch( fuel pressure safety switch) on my set up as well. i think these Switches are factory pre-set at either 4 or 4.5 Psi before it activates killing the circuit..
i always liked the idea of being a little fat when dealing with Nos and Blowers..you can also go the other direction...but you can't always go back if you lean her out too much....

hope this helps

Brian

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 10-08-2008, 11:56 AM
dynaguy03
MASTER BUILDER

Default NOS Setup

Thanks David and Brian..
David i guess i better getsome extra hands..may have to grill up some burgers to "pay" the help!!...lol
Bryan i have a simular setup i have my Nos pressure set at 9psi - on the dedicated holley black pump. with WOT and pressure safety switch... i can do your flow idea pretty easy...thanks