Thread: 512 code

Junior Member SHOW GUEST

512 code

I am looking at purchasing a 73 corvett block. The guy sas the numbers on the front pad ------512 and there is a ce stamped on the block witch he sas is corvett replacement. It is a 4bolt main. I know older blocks like that were ls6 blocks any help would be apreciated.

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    The 512 was the casting number of the LS-6 blocks but not the number on the pad...I have 2 512's one has been decked(can't read the pad on passenger side) the other was an ls5 and if memory serves it has CRT . Any old Chilton book will tell you , let me go do some looking and I'll post it.

SORRY IF THEY ARE HARD TO READ...TRIED TO SCAN IT BEST I could....don't know about corvette replacement but just about all the codes in the book are 3 letters

Senior Member EXPERT BUILDER
    i've been through this with a 70 chevelle that i had the ce stands for crate engine. my was a replacement engine that was put in from chevy under warranty from what i understood.hope that helps ,john

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE fla1976's Avatar

CE

I have a similar engine in my garage on the stand. The original number is still on it and is "Xed" out. It is still legible and translates to a 64 corvette hipo 327. The CE is just documentation that the original was a factory warranty and the engine was replaced. The original was then rebuilt and sold as a replacement crate engine. It is probably a great engine that you have as they probably got it right the second time around.

7. Racing Junk