Thread: New powerglide W/ Alum Hipster pro brake ISSUE

New powerglide W/ Alum Hipster pro brake ISSUE

Just built a new PG, well the case is a used case. New everything. First time at the track with it was sat, pre-staged, waited, and then staged. Hit the trans-brake button, car lunges back about 2 inches, then grabs. Rev clutches are set at .060 as per Hipster instructions, band was adjusted 73 the back 3 1/2. I have always used AW32 in my trannies with great success. Fluid level was spot on, and again, brake and solenoid was new.

Any Ideas????

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE

Re: New powerglide W/ Alum Hipster pro brake ISSUE

Quote Originally Posted by benningtonr
    Just built a new PG, well the case is a used case. New everything. First time at the track with it was sat, pre-staged, waited, and then staged. Hit the trans-brake button, car lunges back about 2 inches, then grabs. Rev clutches are set at .060 as per Hipster instructions, band was adjusted 73 the back 3 1/2. I have always used AW32 in my trannies with great success. Fluid level was spot on, and again, brake and solenoid was new.

Any Ideas????
    Common issue with new Hipster valve bodies, you need to put a pressure gauge on it and see what it is, should be around 200. If its not you either have a bad pump or valve body.
    David Lanning
    IHRA NHRA 387B

Fleenor Racing Transmission
    419-280-1406
    Lanning Electric
    Complete Drag Car Wiring
    APD Race Engines
    www.apdracing.com

Senior Member EXPERT BUILDER
    I run the AW32 also with good success. I think I would just tighten up the band about 1/2 a turn and see what happens. There is nothing majorly wrong with the trans. I agree that you adjusted the band properly that is the same specs I use (72 inch pounds 3.5 turns out). Maybe it was just a little twisted when it was adjusted who knows. Like I said I would just turn it in about 1/2 a round and try it see what happens.. If that does not fix it I know there is a valve in the valvebody that can stick it caused mine at one time to rev up between gears and then try to back up..too the valveout and cleaned then it was fixed..

Senior Member MASTER BUILDER
    What is your high clutch pack clearance???

Senior Member DYNO OPERATOR
    Really sounds like a band issue to me. Since the band adjustment is correct, maybe a broken ring on the servo piston? Just a thought....