Optima Batteries

Old 09-27-2008, 05:31 PM
floritejoe
APPRENTICE

Default Optima Batteries

Going to buy a new Optima battery for my drag car. I've had some people say to run the standard red-top and some swear by the yellow top deep cycle one. which is best? What is the advantage to running a deep cycle battery? I do drive the car on the street for short trips to car shows, but thats about it. I run a small denso alternator and the car has a crap load of electric driven stuff:

Water pump
Two fuel pumps
NOS system
MSD digital 7 box
Electric fans
Bottle heater

I know the little alternators only put out about 50-60 amps, but I have no room for a full size one...Any helpfull advice on choosing the right battery would be great! Thanks, Joe
Old 09-27-2008, 08:05 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

I would run two batteries. JMO
Old 09-27-2008, 08:25 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: Optima Batteries

Originally Posted by floritejoe
Going to buy a new Optima battery for my drag car. I've had some people say to run the standard red-top and some swear by the yellow top deep cycle one. which is best? What is the advantage to running a deep cycle battery? I do drive the car on the street for short trips to car shows, but thats about it. I run a small denso alternator and the car has a crap load of electric driven stuff:

Water pump
Two fuel pumps
NOS system
MSD digital 7 box
Electric fans
Bottle heater

I know the little alternators only put out about 50-60 amps, but I have no room for a full size one...Any helpfull advice on choosing the right battery would be great! Thanks, Joe
Dont buy a optima go to Napa and get a Napa Orbital better battery longer warranty and best thing less money.

Last 3 race cars have all had optima in them when I buy them, usually within a year or two they just go bad replaced everytime with a Napa Orbital likes going to 16v setup over the Optima.
Old 09-27-2008, 08:31 PM
floritejoe
APPRENTICE

Default Re: Optima Batteries

Originally Posted by hammertime
Originally Posted by floritejoe

Water pump
Two fuel pumps
NOS system
MSD digital 7 box
Electric fans
Bottle heater

Dont buy a optima go to Napa and get a Napa Orbital better battery longer warranty and best thing less money.

Last 3 race cars have all had optima in them when I buy them, usually within a year or two they just go bad replaced everytime with a Napa Orbital likes going to 16v setup over the Optima.
Thanks for the info, I know about the Napa batteries but I'm more concerned with the difference between a deep cycle and a standard battery. which is better for my app?
Old 09-28-2008, 06:27 AM
sg1586
MASTER BUILDER

The standard battery if your going to run an alt. The deep cycle battery's wont last long if you use an alt as they are meant to be drained and then recharged at low amp rate..

I have had red optma battery's in both of my cars and never had a problem with them. In fact in my other car it was in there for almost 4 years with no problem at all and the battery in my truck went bad so I got a new one for my race car and put the old one in my pickup and it's still in there!!! Now that battey has been in my truck for 5 years now!!!!!!
Old 09-29-2008, 06:54 PM
dak697
MASTER BUILDER

IMHO I think the odessey battery is the way to go. I have them in everything a good reliable battery is required. Race car. Sand buggy, airplane.

These will hold a charge for 2 years. Can be mounted on their sides. And has a 10 or 12 year service life

My race car was a pain to start, when we put 1 in I could not believe how hard the motor would spin

here is a link to read about them

<<http://www.odysseybatteries.com>>
Old 09-29-2008, 07:41 PM
topsportsman1
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

I just put 2 Rock 1236 racing batteries in my race car

Best battery by far I ever owned

http://www.rockracingbattery.com/specs.php
Old 09-30-2008, 03:09 AM
sg1586
MASTER BUILDER

Originally Posted by topsportsman1
I just put 2 Rock 1236 racing batteries in my race car

Best battery by far I ever owned

http://www.rockracingbattery.com/specs.php

Looks like you have a Fat wallet Tom :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Old 12-02-2008, 06:13 PM
russ67chevelle
EXPERT BUILDER

ONE NOTE TO PASS TO FELLOW RACERS-BEST THING FOR YOUR REAR MOUNTED BATTERY SET UPS IS TO HAVE A GOOD HEAVY DUTY LINE FROM ALTERNATOR BACK TO THE POSITIVE ON BATT. I USED HEAVY 4 GAGE WELDING WIRE AND ABSOULUTELY NO PROBLEMS WITH 1 OPTIMA RED BATTERY AND POWERHOUSE 120 AMP ALT.IT WASNT HOLDING AS GOOD OF A CHARGE WITH SMALLER GAGE WIRE!!!!
Old 12-02-2008, 07:50 PM
showtimebob
SHOW GUEST

Dont forget your ground and dont assume any metal is a good ground.
do a voltage drop test to check- remember voltage travels in a circle.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -