Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Optima Batteries

Optima Batteries

Going to buy a new Optima battery for my drag car. I've had some people say to run the standard red-top and some swear by the yellow top deep cycle one. which is best? What is the advantage to running a deep cycle battery? I do drive the car on the street for short trips to car shows, but thats about it. I run a small denso alternator and the car has a crap load of electric driven stuff:

Water pump
    Two fuel pumps
    NOS system
    MSD digital 7 box
    Electric fans
    Bottle heater

I know the little alternators only put out about 50-60 amps, but I have no room for a full size one...Any helpfull advice on choosing the right battery would be great! Thanks, Joe

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    I would run two batteries. JMO

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE

Re: Optima Batteries

Quote Originally Posted by floritejoe
    Going to buy a new Optima battery for my drag car. I've had some people say to run the standard red-top and some swear by the yellow top deep cycle one. which is best? What is the advantage to running a deep cycle battery? I do drive the car on the street for short trips to car shows, but thats about it. I run a small denso alternator and the car has a crap load of electric driven stuff:

Water pump
    Two fuel pumps
    NOS system
    MSD digital 7 box
    Electric fans
    Bottle heater

I know the little alternators only put out about 50-60 amps, but I have no room for a full size one...Any helpfull advice on choosing the right battery would be great! Thanks, Joe
    Dont buy a optima go to Napa and get a Napa Orbital better battery longer warranty and best thing less money.

Last 3 race cars have all had optima in them when I buy them, usually within a year or two they just go bad replaced everytime with a Napa Orbital likes going to 16v setup over the Optima.
    David Lanning
    IHRA NHRA 387B

Fleenor Racing Transmission
    419-280-1406
    Lanning Electric
    Complete Drag Car Wiring
    APD Race Engines
    www.apdracing.com

Re: Optima Batteries

Quote Originally Posted by hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by floritejoe

Water pump
    Two fuel pumps
    NOS system
    MSD digital 7 box
    Electric fans
    Bottle heater

Dont buy a optima go to Napa and get a Napa Orbital better battery longer warranty and best thing less money.

Last 3 race cars have all had optima in them when I buy them, usually within a year or two they just go bad replaced everytime with a Napa Orbital likes going to 16v setup over the Optima.
    Thanks for the info, I know about the Napa batteries but I'm more concerned with the difference between a deep cycle and a standard battery. which is better for my app?

Senior Member MASTER BUILDER
    The standard battery if your going to run an alt. The deep cycle battery's wont last long if you use an alt as they are meant to be drained and then recharged at low amp rate..

I have had red optma battery's in both of my cars and never had a problem with them. In fact in my other car it was in there for almost 4 years with no problem at all and the battery in my truck went bad so I got a new one for my race car and put the old one in my pickup and it's still in there!!! Now that battey has been in my truck for 5 years now!!!!!!

IMHO I think the odessey battery is the way to go. I have them in everything a good reliable battery is required. Race car. Sand buggy, airplane.

These will hold a charge for 2 years. Can be mounted on their sides. And has a 10 or 12 year service life

My race car was a pain to start, when we put 1 in I could not believe how hard the motor would spin

here is a link to read about them

<<http://www.odysseybatteries.com>>

Administrator RACING JUNKIE
    I just put 2 Rock 1236 racing batteries in my race car

Best battery by far I ever owned

http://www.rockracingbattery.com/specs.php
    There Is 1 Thing Better Than Cubic Inches,,,More Of Them

Quote Originally Posted by topsportsman1
    I just put 2 Rock 1236 racing batteries in my race car

Best battery by far I ever owned

http://www.rockracingbattery.com/specs.php

Looks like you have a Fat wallet Tom :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Senior Member EXPERT BUILDER
    ONE NOTE TO PASS TO FELLOW RACERS-BEST THING FOR YOUR REAR MOUNTED BATTERY SET UPS IS TO HAVE A GOOD HEAVY DUTY LINE FROM ALTERNATOR BACK TO THE POSITIVE ON BATT. I USED HEAVY 4 GAGE WELDING WIRE AND ABSOULUTELY NO PROBLEMS WITH 1 OPTIMA RED BATTERY AND POWERHOUSE 120 AMP ALT.IT WASNT HOLDING AS GOOD OF A CHARGE WITH SMALLER GAGE WIRE!!!!

Dont forget your ground and dont assume any metal is a good ground.
    do a voltage drop test to check- remember voltage travels in a circle.