Help with idle problems 548..

Old 09-21-2008, 07:27 AM
dparker
RACING JUNKIE

Default Help with idle problems 548..

I resently bought a 548 BBC with a BG 1150 alcohol carb, the engine sounds great and is real responsive. I was told the car ran a 5.05 last time out. But after you blip the gas the engine is slow to come back to 1200 rpm idle. It seems to hoover around 1800 rpm for a few seconds before it goes back down to idle. I tried a alcohol Davinci carb and it did the same thing. I then noticed when I was checking timing , that the distributor advance wasn't locked down. Ive always ran all my distributors locked. Could this cause this?
Old 09-21-2008, 10:03 AM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Maybe the advance mechanism in the distributor is dirty or the springs are shot and it is slow to pull the timing back out, worth a try.
had youi not tried 2 carbs I'd say see if the bushings in the linkage worn or the blades not centered correctly....not letting the thing close quick enough.
Old 09-21-2008, 07:11 PM
jmarksdragster
RACING JUNKIE

You should need no advance, lock it.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:21 PM
dparker
RACING JUNKIE

I locked the distributer and it helped alittle. But the engine seemed fat. I checked and it had .194s jets I jetted it down to .180s jets and the idle comes down just like its suppose to now. What would cause a engine to stay idled up after you blip the gas if it just to rich?
Old 10-03-2008, 12:29 AM
ashbros
RACING JUNKIE

How bout a worn card. Ya know one that has been to ran for many years. Could be worn out parts
Old 10-03-2008, 09:17 PM
dparker
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by ashbros
How bout a worn card. Ya know one that has been to ran for many years. Could be worn out parts
Ill put my worn out parts up against yours anytime.
Money talks and Bullshit walks.