starter switch

Old 09-20-2008, 07:17 PM
maco
SHOW GUEST

Default starter switch

Hello! I just finished wiring my engine test stand using a msd 6al box, with a blaster ss coil, I am using a ford starter solenoid with a mini starter. The problem i am having is when i turn engine over with keyed ignition switch the moter will not start while cranking over, Until i release the key on ignition switch, the it will start. can any of you guys help me out before i go crazy? I would really appreciate it thank you.
Old 09-20-2008, 09:08 PM
olds48
RACING JUNKIE

Must not be getting 12 volts to the dist. while cranking.I don't know how Ford solenoids work,but I know some Chevy solenoids have a "run" and "start" position on them.Helps with keeping full voltage to the ignition while cranking.Might find your problem there?????Good luck
Old 09-21-2008, 08:13 AM
us7race
EXPERT BUILDER

I run a ford solenoid on my truck. I have the wire going to the "S" on the solenoid to the starter button. Works fine.
Old 09-21-2008, 09:22 AM
suicidebomb
RACING JUNKIE

I agree with olds48, check voltage at the coil, while cranking the starter. Don't go crazy, I'm crazy, and I don't recommend it.
Old 09-25-2008, 06:32 AM
dparker
RACING JUNKIE

Since your running a keyed ignition switch. Your problem is probably in your ignition switch itself. If it was in a Ford, it might be in the switch on the steering column. Whats suppose to be happening is that your ignition allows more volts to the coil at startup. Then once you release your key it goes into restricting the volts to the coil at 8 or 9 volts. Right now your ignition is not sending any power at start up to the coil. Let me know what you find.
good luck,
Old 04-09-2009, 10:10 PM
chevysteve2
APPRENTICE

I would check the voltage going into the small red wire on your msd box when the starter is activated. Because on your key switch some 12V circuts are hot when the key is in the run position, but are temporaly deactivated during cranking. I think what is happening is you are only getting spark when you stop cranking your starter. hope that helps.

steve
Old 04-10-2009, 01:14 AM
fla1976
RACING JUNKIE

Default ignition

Sounds like you are running the igniion from the wrong contact on the switch itself. Disconnect the starter and have someone turn the key as if to crank it. You should still have around 12 volts or so at the coil. If you don't, you are running off the accessory and not the ignition. When you stop cranking the 12 volts would be there again.
Old 04-10-2009, 02:23 PM
gnsrule
SENIOR BUILDER

On a Ford style fender mount solinoid, there 2 small terminals. One is S for solinoid whick will activate the solinoid and get you cranking. The other should be "I" for ignition.That will get 12v when cranking . Run a wire from I to your coil and you should be good to go. Check it out w/ a test lite. There are MANY differant combinations for a Ford style solinoid, one of the small wires could go to ground.
If this is for raceing, dont run a resistor wire to drop volts when running, youll get a hotter spark this way.

Good Luck