Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: head bolts vs cylinder studs

Senior Member EXPERT BUILDER

head bolts vs cylinder studs

Which one would you use in a n/a sbc ,23 degree iron heads,14-1 compression?

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    Studs are usually always better and a must with alum. heads, because of the growth of alum. A good set of chromemolly head bolts will be fine with steel heads, but the head stud kit isnt that much more. If your buying new Id get the studs.

arp bolts all the way!

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE jmarksdragster's Avatar
    Bolts if you run a factory block that have the head bolt holes going into the water jacket, they seal better. Also if you have a door car and want to be able pull the heads, studs can be a pain. For blind hole blocks like World and Dart studs are fine.
    Mark Whitener
    http://racingfuelsystems.myfunforum.org

Good work isn't cheap, and cheap work can't be good.

I run ARP bolts in my stock block 422. No gasket issue's.

If you look at ARP VS ARP the bolts are awsome and not going to have any issues. The studs are for when the engine gets torn down regurally, the stud has better memory then a bolt. So it comes down to how much you want to spend and how often the engine is appart.

I will be using a dart shp block,mls 1143 head gaskets,bored .030.I was just wondering if I should use studs because of the 14-1?Yes it will be in a door car.

Quote Originally Posted by dparker
    Studs are usually always better and a must with alum. heads, because of the growth of alum. A good set of chromemolly head bolts will be fine with steel heads, but the head stud kit isnt that much more. If your buying new Id get the studs.
    I have an iron block with aluminum heads and use ARP bolts. BBC

Horse a piece, but if i were building it i would use studs, even though the blk will have blind holes and if you're useing a tricky rocker setup it's much easier to re-torque the heads with studs. IE, jessel shaft with 1.530 springs. $50.00 difference is not a lot on a good motor.

PS, Todd you have 5 bolts around the cylinders,VS 4 with a s/blk

JMO

Zip.

Senior Member MASTER BUILDER

Studs vs Bolts

I would say studs are a good choice .. espeacially if you are using an aftermarket block that the studs do not go into the water jacket.
    I have sbc with studs .. but i have to say i did have an issue with the studs seeping coolant. It was an assembly issue...and the motor was new. I had to remove all the studs one at a time and reseal them..since then i have had no issues.
    I would suggest Loctite 567 for sealing stud treads.. its a very stout thread sealer.. although its expensive it WORKS.

Take Care
    Keith

11. Racing Junk