Roller Rockers?

Old 09-08-2008, 07:16 AM
dartdude
SHOW GUEST

Default Roller Rockers?

:? Hello: Of course I am new using ther forum and am very curious about some gold crane roller rockers. I bought a truck from a guy on here about 5 month's ago, taking 3 of those month's to get the title but I did learn a lesson. I bought the 85 C-10 with a 383 stroker, eagle internals, world heads, weiand intake, and 650 holley. I have been out of racing for about 20 some years and disabled for about half of that. Just came up with enought money to get alittle toy of sort. The truck will fly I must admit with the M/T Streets on the back for traction. He said high 7's in 1/8 th. When the truck is at idle in or out of gear it has a chatter to it like there is something wrong with it. When I get on it hard I don't notice it or cannot hear it then. I have rods and screws in my back or I would try to check the settings on the roller rockers. Crane setting are suppose to be 22 on both is what the paperwork says. Maybe that is the normal noise a set of rollers make that's why I am asking? Should I save the money and have them checked or take the guy's word for it?
Thanks dartdude
Old 09-08-2008, 07:45 AM
gimmemud
MASTER BUILDER

The valve train shouldnt be really noisy, if they are making alot of noise I would adjust them, or if you are not able to do it get some one too. If the valve lash is not right it will cause you problems. This is something that needs to be checked periodicly anyway.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:13 AM
shawnp
RACING JUNKIE

IMHO... Crane Golds are noisy no matter what. Switch to Harland Sharp.
Old 09-08-2008, 01:22 PM
dartdude
SHOW GUEST

Well,,,,, I pained through and took off the valve covers bending over those tall fenders and they do need adjusting, not bad but maybe it is true. I did not know the gold's had a little more rattle to them.
Check out at 1304521 and tell me if it is worth it after taking to get adjusted. I went alittle cheaper than what I have to round it off?
thanks for the info dartdude
Old 09-08-2008, 03:28 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

leave them golds alone unless they are broke...unless u just want to spend some money ?

i ran them on a 800hp 511ci...and have them on my new 565ci making 1,000 hp.

IMO.

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 09-08-2008, 04:38 PM
shawnp
RACING JUNKIE

Sorry, I was at work and got cut off...

The golds are a nosiy valve train. Like bjuice said, if not broke don't replace... unless you want to spend the money to get rid of the noise. The golds are a good quality rocker. The Harland Sharp will be the next choice if you don't want to go for shaft rockers. If you don't mind a little clackity clack.... adjust and run.
Old 09-11-2008, 03:57 PM
dartdude
SHOW GUEST

Default GO WITH THE GOLD

:lol:Gold is up boys, Sorry like the man said they are alittle noise but I paid 70 dollars to get them adjusted and @#%X my truck found a whole lot more horse power now. I might take it off the market now. (ad# 1304521 and 1304530). Thanks and if I must say so it today is the first time the ol truck barked the tires from stand still. I would say I found some extra horse power to turn a set of 28 x 13.50 x 15 M/T et streets.
Thanks and what do you all think of the price? dartdude :roll:
Old 09-12-2008, 02:40 AM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

I think the price is pretty close, I've seen trucks in OEM trim go for that price in my area.
Goodlooking truck, what times does it run now with the valves adjusted properly?
Charles
Old 09-12-2008, 04:03 AM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by bjuice
leave them golds alone unless they are broke...unless u just want to spend some money ?

i ran them on a 800hp 511ci...and have them on my new 565ci making 1,000 hp.

IMO.
I second that. I have them on my 540....I would still check them once in awhile. This is my second set.

The easiest way to fix a noisy valvetrain , providing there is nothing worn out or broken, is to turn up the radio.