Bead on tire won't pop all the way out ??

Old 09-06-2008, 07:35 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Default Bead on tire won't pop all the way out ??

OK I just had my tires mounted on my new wheels and for the life of me I can't get the bead to pop all the way out against the rim...there is a small gap maybe .125" between the rim and tire. They hold air and they balanced ok...I have had them inflated pretty high for the last two days...I'm afraid to put more air in em...they have about 40 psi or so. I thought maybe the rim screws would pull it up there but the screws get tight in the rim before the tire moves. They are snug against the rim on the back side but not the polished side.I took the rim screws back out and am letting them set overinflated to see what will happen. They are 32 x 14 stiff sidewall goodyears no tubes.Anyone ever see this before? Maybe it is just the wheel design?? IS it ok to leave it like that?
Old 09-07-2008, 01:28 AM
outlaw256
RACING JUNKIE

ive had this happen a few times, and yes they were on centerline wheels. what i did was put tires at 45 psi and put wheels on car when i lowered car i put the wheels where when car would start to roll the bad spot would hit the ground after about a 1/4 turn. that worked a couple times. had one wheel that i had to breakdown again and reseat them.lube them up really good and try it . it has worked for us. good luck. btw that aint normal. they should seat.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:14 AM
suicidebomb
RACING JUNKIE

Todd, my front runners did the same thing, I put some some soapy water in the gap, 60 psi in the tires, and rolled the car around some, when i checked them the beads were seated. hope this helps, good luck
Old 09-07-2008, 08:04 AM
kwkracing
RACING JUNKIE

i also have a rear centerline wheel that i cannot get the tire seated on, just like you said, its about 1/8" from being seated. 15x15 with a 33x17x15. The scary part is the previous owner never noticed and had made several 170mph passes on them. I willl post back if i can make it seat anyway possible.
Old 09-07-2008, 09:52 AM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

I'm hoping when I put the weight of the car on it it will go.
Old 04-15-2009, 12:33 PM
oldandtired
RACING JUNKIE

I have had to use soapy water then I ran two parallel straps around the circumfrence of the tires. Tighten the straps down and then put the air in the tires. This may work for you.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:37 PM
radicalz
MASTER BUILDER

Tod break them back down and use WD40 or some slimy soapy water about 50/50 mix on soap and water....they should seat....i used a dish rag sopping for this and they popped right on.....just tap the rubber with a dead blow hammer as it is filling....
Old 04-16-2009, 10:51 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

They eventually seated on their own. Overinflated and soaped them up and let em sit a few days and they finally popped out.
Old 04-17-2009, 05:38 AM
kbartley
EXPERT BUILDER

Default bead wont pop out!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had the same problem with my front wheels recently. I am restoring a Front Enginr Dragster that has a leafspring frontend. The Halibrand magnesium 10 spokes were the problem in my case, I had to turn them down on the lathe to get todays tires to fit yesterdays rims.Tires are M&H 22x3 1/2x15. MAN, TALKING ABOUT PISSING YOU OFF!!!!!!!!! Kris
Old 05-15-2009, 07:28 AM
dparker
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by Tod74
They eventually seated on their own. Overinflated and soaped them up and let em sit a few days and they finally popped out.
Todd if you left them for a couple of days, you need to check the roll out. I bought a new set of Hoosiers and one tire had 1 1/2 more rollout. I aired the smaller one up to 30psi and left it over night the next let the air out and it was a 1/4 bigger than the other tire. Just something to check.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -