'66 Mustang coupe with chevy setup

Old 09-06-2008, 04:23 PM
jrloberto
SHOW GUEST

Default '66 Mustang coupe with chevy setup

I have a '66 Mustang coupe and would like to know if it is possible to put a chevy 383 and turbo 400 or turbo 350 trans in the car going to a ford 9 inch rear, without doing any heavy modifications to the car. If anyone could help with this I would greatly appreciate it. I am new to the site and thought this would be a good way to see how it works. Thanks for the help!!

John
Old 09-06-2008, 08:31 PM
I972Nova
EXPERT BUILDER

You could do it with a mid plate and front motor plates relatively easy... Different headers, and a different driveshaft too...

Hope this helps...
Old 09-07-2008, 09:16 AM
feenst
JOURNEYMAN

If a big block ford will fit, a small block chev will with ease
Old 09-07-2008, 07:49 PM
gearhead1011
EXPERT BUILDER

Originally Posted by jrloberto
I have a '66 Mustang coupe and would like to know if it is possible to put a chevy 383 and turbo 400 or turbo 350 trans in the car going to a ford 9 inch rear, without doing any heavy modifications to the car.
I know it's been done but it's been awhile since I've seen one. I would think you would have to use a chevy II oil pan because the '66 used a front sump pan and a rear sump won't clear the steering linkage. The tunnel is small on those cars so a 350 turbo would be a better fit. The headers would probably have to be made for the car so they will be expensive. I'm basing all of this on the car having the stock front clip. Your other option and this would qualify as "heavy modifications" would be to clip the front end and go to a mustang II/pinto suspension.

Originally Posted by feenst
If a big block ford will fit, a small block chev will with ease
A BBF wouldn't fit in a '66 without modifying the spring towers.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:42 AM
lively
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: '66 Mustang coupe with chevy setup

I have a '66 Mustang coupe and would like to know if it is possible to put a chevy 383 and turbo 400 or turbo 350 trans in the car going to a ford 9 inch rear, without doing any heavy modifications to the car. If anyone could help with this I would greatly appreciate it. I am new to the site and thought this would be a good way to see how it works. Thanks for the help!!

John
WHY???????????????????????
PUT IT IN A OLD SMALL[EARLY 60"S NOVA AND LET HER RIP!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 09-08-2008, 07:39 AM
jrloberto
SHOW GUEST

I would love to put it in a old nova or chevelle but the problem is finding one!! One of my budies has a mustang for sale thats why i was asking. THanks for the help
Old 09-08-2008, 11:09 AM
lively
RACING JUNKIE

IT IS NOT THAT HARD TO PUT OTHER BRANDS IN THERE-MAIN PROBLEM IS THE DISTRIBUTER LOCATION AND THE OIL PAN SUMP ops: ops:

IT MAKES A DIFFERENT CAR BUT I WOULD LOOK FOR SOMETHING MORE FRIENDLY UNLESS YOU LIKE TO FABRICATE 8) 8)

NOW THIS IS A FORD MAN TALKING BUT HAVE HAD SEVERAL CHEVIES IN MY YEARS :lol: :lol: :lol:
LIVELY
Old 09-08-2008, 12:03 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Now this is a chevy person talking, what's wrong with running a s/blk ford, the 347" Fords run pretty good and they are not that expensive to build and use a C4 trans. There's several around here that run low 10's, there's a couple that run in the 9's but i think they are bigger inche motors.

Zip.
Old 09-08-2008, 03:45 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: '66 Mustang coupe with chevy setup

John
"BUILT FORD TOUGH"...with " Chevy Stuff"

:shock: 8)

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 09-09-2008, 07:50 AM
nofear57
EXPERT BUILDER

Well said bjuice 8)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -