Starter Turns

Old 09-02-2008, 03:48 PM
jreiley
MASTER BUILDER

Default Starter Turns

I had a problem appear last Friday night at the local track. TThe starter motor turns the gear when power is turned on in the car from the disconnect switch and the power switch is not turned on in the car. It doesn't engage the flywheel, it just spins. Nothing happens when I hit the start button on the Painless panel. What gives here.
Old 09-02-2008, 04:07 PM
johnracer
DYNO OPERATOR

What kind of starter is it?
Old 09-02-2008, 04:48 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: Starter Turns

Originally Posted by jreiley
I had a problem appear last Friday night at the local track. TThe starter motor turns the gear when power is turned on in the car from the disconnect switch and the power switch is not turned on in the car. It doesn't engage the flywheel, it just spins. Nothing happens when I hit the start button on the Painless panel. What gives here.
Feedback from a alt ??? The starter should shut off when the kill switch is off you must have it wired to the wrong side of the switch.
Old 09-02-2008, 04:52 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

oops misread the post.
Old 09-03-2008, 03:32 AM
johnracer
DYNO OPERATOR

The way I understood his post was that the starter starts to spin as soon as the kill switch is turned on, but doesn't engage the flywheel. Just spins. If the solenoid is on the starter, the contacts in the solenoid are stuck together or something is shorting the batt cable to the lead that feeds the motor. Should be 2 big posts on the solenoid. Batt cable is attached to one, the other feeds the motor when the solenoid is engaged. The batt cable may be loose and shorting against the other post....