Thread: Starter Turns

Senior Member MASTER BUILDER

Starter Turns

I had a problem appear last Friday night at the local track. TThe starter motor turns the gear when power is turned on in the car from the disconnect switch and the power switch is not turned on in the car. It doesn't engage the flywheel, it just spins. Nothing happens when I hit the start button on the Painless panel. What gives here.

Senior Member DYNO OPERATOR
    What kind of starter is it?

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE

Re: Starter Turns

Quote Originally Posted by jreiley
    I had a problem appear last Friday night at the local track. TThe starter motor turns the gear when power is turned on in the car from the disconnect switch and the power switch is not turned on in the car. It doesn't engage the flywheel, it just spins. Nothing happens when I hit the start button on the Painless panel. What gives here.
    Feedback from a alt ??? The starter should shut off when the kill switch is off you must have it wired to the wrong side of the switch.
    David Lanning
    IHRA NHRA 387B

Fleenor Racing Transmission
    419-280-1406
    Lanning Electric
    Complete Drag Car Wiring
    APD Race Engines
    www.apdracing.com

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    oops misread the post.

Senior Member DYNO OPERATOR
    The way I understood his post was that the starter starts to spin as soon as the kill switch is turned on, but doesn't engage the flywheel. Just spins. If the solenoid is on the starter, the contacts in the solenoid are stuck together or something is shorting the batt cable to the lead that feeds the motor. Should be 2 big posts on the solenoid. Batt cable is attached to one, the other feeds the motor when the solenoid is engaged. The batt cable may be loose and shorting against the other post....