help

Old 08-31-2008, 05:01 AM
john858
EXPERT BUILDER

Default help

first night out with new combo ,565 with carb ,01/2 rons pump,front mounted cell fuel log with bg bypass regulator on it engine & carb has been dyno tuned, i launch the car it felt like it runs out of gas,catches back up for about fifty feet and does the same thing,in all it does this about three to five time going down the track.
the car ran 6.30 1/8 with 137 60' thanks for any help,john
Old 08-31-2008, 11:25 PM
dparker
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: help

Originally Posted by john858
first night out with new combo ,565 with carb ,01/2 rons pump,front mounted cell fuel log with bg bypass regulator on it engine & carb has been dyno tuned, i launch the car it felt like it runs out of gas,catches back up for about fifty feet and does the same thing,in all it does this about three to five time going down the track.
the car ran 6.30 1/8 with 137 60' thanks for any help,john
If your going to run Rons pump Id use Rons barrel valve and high speed bypass, that way Rons tech can give you advice on pills and such. Rons has great tech help. Otherwise take off the fuel log and get a BG 400 fuel pump, which will move more than enough fuel for your carb. Matching fuel system to me is as important as matching engine combos.
Good Luck
Old 09-01-2008, 06:33 AM
john858
EXPERT BUILDER

i have been looking at the way some fuel systems are run & now i have another ? does my bypass reg need to be in front or rear of my carb? thanks for any help,john
Old 09-01-2008, 08:37 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

i have been looking at the way some fuel systems are run & now i have another ? does my bypass reg need to be in front or rear of my carb? thanks for any help,john
It can be either way but the idea of being on the end of the fuel log is not cutting back volume before it gets there then it bypasses back to the tank from there. Do you have a fuel pressure gauge in the car ? Keep the rons pump it will work fine, I did it for years on sbc & bbc. I am not a fan of the BG regulator they seem to fail more often then not. What do you have you fuel pressure set @ at idle and on the transbrake ?
Old 09-01-2008, 12:17 PM
dparker
RACING JUNKIE

[quote="john858"]i have been looking at the way some fuel systems are run & now i have another ? does my bypass reg need to be in front or rear of my carb? thanks for any help,john[/quote

According to most fuel delivery techs the regulator should be in front of the carb. Ive ran both ways though without any trouble. I do agree with David on BG regulators, they seem to fail alot. I have two BG 400 fuel pumps, that I have for back up, and that I just got back from BG, they've always worked good but seem to leak from the weep hole every year. My pride and joy is a 500gph Product Engineering pump with bypass built in, and a Product Engineering Bleed back regulator. It uses nitrous jets on the high side and low side to return just enough fuel to keep the regulator from creeping up in pressure.
Enough bout my junk, I think to make it simple for now have a 250gph and up fuel pump with return built in bypass. And a Magna Flow (or comparable) regulator, they run about $120. Set the fuel pressure at 7psi and go racing. Keep it simple till you get it lined out. After you get it all working right, you might look into using the Rons setup, You cant hardly beat them.
Old 09-01-2008, 12:56 PM
curtisreed
RACING JUNKIE

I have a couple of questions, is this on gas or alcohol? Does it have it extensions on the back? If it is on gas it could be sloshing fuel out of the vent tubes and casing a really rich condition, needs tubing on the vent tubes. Maybe it is the fuel getting away from the back jets. If it is alcohol does it have .150 needle and seats? Just some things to think about instead of the pump. We always run our return style regulators after the carb so you don't lose flow.

Curtis
Old 09-01-2008, 06:44 PM
john858
EXPERT BUILDER

sorry guys,it is on alcohol,has jet extensions & i put a slosh tube on it at the track with no change, it is a 1050hp & this is my first belt drive pump,hell this is the first time for all this big stuff so i'm kinda lost.the fuel pressure is 9 @ idle & goes to about 10.5 when i rev it, wasn't able to look at pressure going down the track cause i had some shifter issues also but my biggest problem is this,it just like u get on & off the gas over & over.thanks for any and all help guys. john
Old 09-01-2008, 08:15 PM
dparker
RACING JUNKIE

John how much alcohol are you using in a pass. You should be using a gallon to a gallon and a half. Very much less and your probably running out of fuel. Too much more than that and your probably pushing fuel past your needle seats. Once I had a regulator go bad I burned 3 1/2 gallons by the time I got back to the pits. The belt driven pump is great but not necessary to run an alcohol carb, especially with your tank up front. Try a electric pump and another regulator. You don't want more than 7 psi to the carb. A belt driven pump will pump plenty of volumn for your carb with even less than 7psi.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:53 PM
curtisreed
RACING JUNKIE

We run about 3lbs at idle, about 10lbs through the lights on alcohol.

Curtis
Old 09-01-2008, 09:49 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

sorry guys,it is on alcohol,has jet extensions & i put a slosh tube on it at the track with no change, it is a 1050hp & this is my first belt drive pump,hell this is the first time for all this big stuff so i'm kinda lost.the fuel pressure is 9 @ idle & goes to about 10.5 when i rev it, wasn't able to look at pressure going down the track cause i had some shifter issues also but my biggest problem is this,it just like u get on & off the gas over & over.thanks for any and all help guys. john

Do this for pressure, 3-4lbs at idle 8-9 lbs on the transbrake 4500-5500 rpms. This will help, could just be a fuel delevery problem. Check your fuel filter also.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -