Life with a radical pro-street car

Old 08-22-2008, 04:36 AM
garysol1
SHOW GUEST

Default Life with a radical pro-street car

Opinions from you guys that have and actually DRIVE a "race" engined pro street car. You know the cars I mean. 13:1 compression, big roller cam and even bigger carbs stuffed into a car with a minimal interior and a hard shifting trans and spool.
Do you guys ever wish that maybe you had not gone so wild or is it worth the headaches to you?
My last project was a mild 440 mopar in a mini tubbed Dart and while it was very drivable I always wanting more power. At what point do you most of you find that the car has lost it's fun quotient and has become nothing but a pain in your azz?
Mild or wild.....trying to decide what I want to build..........................
Old 08-22-2008, 05:17 AM
suicidebomb
RACING JUNKIE

When I was younger, I had a pretty radical small block in a 66 malibu, I hated it on the street. thats just me though. I know a lot of guys that love bada$$ motors on the street, as for me, I'd rather trailer my race car to the track, and run a little less motor on the street.JMO
Old 08-22-2008, 07:04 AM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

I am too scared of lifter failure.
Old 08-22-2008, 07:56 AM
curtisreed
RACING JUNKIE

Why not a large cubic inch big block that is built resonably mild so it is not to tempermental but can still make big power?

Curtis
Old 08-22-2008, 06:21 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by doorracer
Why not a large cubic inch big block that is built resonably mild so it is not to tempermental but can still make big power?

Curtis
That's the best idea yet...but my problem is I would have trouble keeping the "reasonably mild" part in my head while ordering pistons and camshafts.
Old 08-23-2008, 10:43 AM
Oldewalnut
SENIOR BUILDER

Default Street cars,

Originally Posted by suicidebomb
When I was younger, I had a pretty radical small block in a 66 malibu, I hated it on the street. thats just me though. I know a lot of guys that love bada$$ motors on the street, as for me, I'd rather trailer my race car to the track, and run a little less motor on the street.JMO
Hey bomb,

We come from the same era. Did the same thing with a 67 Mustang. High compressioned, roller camed, tunnel rammed 289 w/Holley 600's. Work on it for a week to get it to run for day. Even back then, circa 1974-75, couldn't afford to feed it! That's why it ended up at the track. To be honest, one look at it, nobody wanted to race me, LOL!!!

No more street cars for me. The wife wants one but just a good "driver. If I only were flush with cash, I know where a 69 Camaro is right now! Then after she tired of it, make a perfect start for an NHRA stock eliminater project.
Old 08-23-2008, 11:20 AM
suicidebomb
RACING JUNKIE

Yes, I guess I'm gettin old and would just as soon have my creature comforts on the street. My race car aint comfortable or quiet, like the old Joe Walsh album said, "Made loud, To be played loud". So as Zipper06 said "Thats my story, and I'm sticking to it".
Old 08-23-2008, 08:23 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: Street cars,

Originally Posted by Oldewalnut
Originally Posted by suicidebomb
Hey bomb,

We come from the same era. Did the same thing with a 67 Mustang. High compressioned, roller camed, tunnel rammed 289 w/Holley 600's. Work on it for a week to get it to run for day. Even back then, circa 1974-75, couldn't afford to feed it! That's why it ended up at the track. To be honest, one look at it, nobody wanted to race me, LOL!!!
That's how I ended up with my Nova...I had/ still have a 1972 chevelle (my first car, built it myself with a friend, I have had it since I was 18, I'm 34 now)that I built a mild 406 for...hyd cam 11:1 10 inch converter 4.10 gear
I started to build a big block for it and ended up with a 14:1 .030 over 454 with a .714 roller cam.... :P After M U C H GRIPING/PREACHING from my father about ruining a very nice car, I bought the nova already tubbed and caged for the big block.
The car has been sitting at my parents house all this time and since it got flooded I am gona tear it apart this winter and re do everything...take all the race car crap *( 90/10 shocks, soft front springs and cheater slicks...and put the heater and sway bar back on) and make it a good driver...might ditch the 406 and build a mild pump gas 454 if money allows...it is a mid 12 second car like it is but it is HEAVY.
Old 08-23-2008, 09:40 PM
procitation
JUNIOR BUILDER

Default Bluebaugh Racing

I guess it depends on what you want. Today, I race with my boyfriend in the car pictured. We live hand to mouth for racing and everything is about racing. For me personally, I wish I had never taken my street car off the street years ago. (not pictured) I got into the slippery slope of bigger, better, faster, and more. My personal car sits it the back yard in yet another stage of needs more and needs more money. At least years ago, I could start it up and go. With this car we need a full crew of helpers to go anywhere and a sack of cash we don't have. But its our choice

Deborah-WFO

www.worldsfastestorganization.com
www.loperspeed.com

Old 08-24-2008, 12:30 PM
Bamfster
APPRENTICE

My thoughts....if it's too loud, noisy and radical....you're too old....LOL. I run a 12.5 small block, 600+ lift and a 4500 stall w/4.56 gears in my street car and I wouldn't have it any other way. 3.5" exhaust makes little old ladies roll their windows up.

BTW, I'm in my 40's.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -