Ford 9" Axles-Removing

Old 08-19-2008, 11:20 PM
WOLF8398
SHOW GUEST

Default Ford 9" Axles-Removing

I have a Fab 9 Rearend- I want to send the third member out to change the Gear Ratio.I have removed the hub around the wheel studs/removed the brakes and disks.What holds the axles on the inside. Do I need to remove the bolts holding the third member then take out the third member or is there something inside holding it in? I have removed the drive-shaft . Would the next step be to remove the bolts holding the third member ?
Old 08-20-2008, 12:10 AM
gearhead1011
EXPERT BUILDER

The axles don't have anything on the inside of the center section that hold them in. There are 4 bolts on the end of the axle tube that retains plate that holds the bearing into the housing. With a disc brake setup the caliper bracket is part of the plate. The bearing is pressed on the axle and the plate holds the bearing in. Once you have the plate unbolted you may have to thump the axle with a wood block and a hammer to knock it out of the housing. If the fit is real tight you might have to use a slide hammer axle puller to get it out.
Old 08-20-2008, 04:22 AM
fla1976
RACING JUNKIE

Default Axle

If you don't have a slide hammer, you can bolt some 1/2 inch chain about 8 feet long and use it as a hammer. Bolt an end to two opposing studs and use as a slide hammer. (Wear gloves) A couple sharp tugs usually does it.
Old 08-20-2008, 06:40 AM
WOLF8398
SHOW GUEST

Thanks that is the answer I was looking for!!!