Son's first race

Old 08-18-2008, 04:22 PM
slowmotion
RACING JUNKIE

Default Son's first race

Took my 16 yr old son to a bracket race Sat.
His first time ever down the track. I let him drive the Malibu. We just put it in drive and let it shift itself. I figured it would be one less thing for him to worry about. His first pass he was shut off in the water. A car in the pair before him had a T top blow out at 1/2 track and shatter everywhere.

His first pass he had a .162 RT and went 15.51 @ 78 mph. I asked him if he lifted and he said yes, he wasn't sure where the finish line was. :lol:
His fastest pass was 15.28 @ 88. The car will run mid 14's if you shift it manually.

He ended up losing 1st rnd, buyin back winning 2nd rnd (with a .032 RT), and lost 3rd with a .306 light. :shock: He said it quick treed him and he wasn't ready.
He had a good time and I'm sure he'll go again.

Old 08-18-2008, 04:41 PM
mopar1968
RACING JUNKIE

not too bad for a first timer :!: :!:
Old 08-18-2008, 04:48 PM
slowmotion
RACING JUNKIE

I forgot to say my dad and brother were running s/p. We had 3 generations racing the same night.
Old 08-18-2008, 04:49 PM
deward
JUNIOR BUILDER

Default Son's first race

Congradulations to your Son. He already learned the first rule of racing,"Get you excuses down pat". Did he enjoy racing, and does he want to try it again? Will there be a Father-Son competition in the future?
Old 08-18-2008, 04:52 PM
shawnp
RACING JUNKIE

It is great to watch them. My buddies son has always been like a son to me. Was there when he made his 1st pass in the dragster, got to watch him win his 1st race and street class but missed the final round Saturday when he got his 1st Super Pro but got the phone call from one very excited 17 year old.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:08 PM
slowmotion
RACING JUNKIE

He wants to do it again.
I said tonight we need a "family shootout" this fall. :lol:

Very cool shawn
Old 08-19-2008, 09:35 AM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Good MEMORIES !!!.....takes me back to 1978..my 1st pass also.. November.."Turkey Trot"......My cousin's
1969 camaro 427 (4 speed) side pipes,white vinyl top with white interior. I can stilll smell it if i close my eye's.

i bunny hopped that dang thing down the track until i almost got whip lash...i was grining ear to ear ...BROKE NECK AND ALL..
been hooked ever since..

Its done got so Fast now i have problems seeing down the track like i should....getting old is good as long as you keep your memory in tact !!!

glad to hear the kids are having Fun with this sport.

Brian

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "