adjusting valves 0n big solid roller cams

Old 08-17-2008, 02:32 PM
chevyart
MASTER BUILDER

Default adjusting valves 0n big solid roller cams

I adjust my valves the EO_IC way with no problem. an engine builder friend, who has never set valves with engine in car at track says it is wrong way. he is still in the past with his ways. he puts each cylinder on

my friend is an engine builder machine shop operator who says the right way to set valves(big solid roller cams) is doing each cylinder at exactly TDC and setting the two valves and moving to next in firing order and moving to next cylinder in firing order and doing same until all cylinders are adjusted. from what i gather this is completely wwrong and will only work with hydraulic cams and real small solid cams. I use the EO_IC method and it works great,
, especially when you cant see the harmonic balancer to get TDC(not that you even need it)I was told that if you wanted to use the TDC way you get #1 on TDC(firing cycle) and adjust 4 valves (none of them even being #1, rotate 180 degrees, adjust 4 more, rotate 180 degrees more and do next 4 valves, and rotate another 180 and do last four valves, this way you are doing a full 720 degrees cycle interestingly enough , the number one intake and exhaust valve are not even being adjusted o; when #1 cylinder was at TDC. could one of you guys that really understand this stuff chime in and let me know if i am right, and why i am right, or if i am wrong, please explain the proper way to adjust the valves on big roller cams. thanks chevy art

TDC
Old 08-17-2008, 02:54 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

I do the EO IC thing...

all that matters is that the lifter is on the base circle of the cam.
Old 09-12-2008, 03:49 AM
mudracer35
SHOW GUEST

THE BEST WAY I HAVE FOUND IS WHEN THE EXH IS GOING DOWN SET THE INT. WHEN INT IS COMING UP SET THE EXH. VERY EASY.
Old 09-12-2008, 04:51 AM
suicidebomb
RACING JUNKIE

I do it this way; When the lifter corresponding to the valve I am adjusting, is on the base circle of the cam, I adjust that valve. I follow this procedure, whether the engine is in the car, or not.
Old 09-12-2008, 10:39 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by mudracer35
THE BEST WAY I HAVE FOUND IS WHEN THE EXH IS GOING DOWN SET THE INT. WHEN INT IS COMING UP SET THE EXH. VERY EASY.
I do it this way also never had any issue
Old 09-12-2008, 01:50 PM
sc4405
JUNIOR BUILDER

I beliieve you will find that cams w/ BIG overlap and wide seperation angles one or both of the lifters will not be on the base circle @ TDC, even if only off by a few thou. I'm sticking with EO/IC........it's not that hard. 8) JB
Old 09-12-2008, 04:55 PM
chevyart
MASTER BUILDER

Default adjusting valves

hey sc4405you explained it the way i thought it should be, but just was not sure. bottom line at TDC the #1 valve adjustment has already left the building(elvis talk) thanks for the info chevy art
Old 09-12-2008, 06:06 PM
JimmySmith
MASTER BUILDER

Default valve adj

I adj like Mudracer35 does. Later J. Smith 4621 racing