k&n air filtration system do they really work

Old 08-13-2008, 05:39 AM
mojomal
APPRENTICE

Default k&n air filtration system do they really work

I'm considering purchasing a k&n filtration system and wanted to know do they really work?
Has anyone seen a dyno test performed using this system?
Old 08-13-2008, 07:47 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: k&n air filtration system do they really work

Originally Posted by mojomal
I'm considering purchasing a k&n filtration system and wanted to know do they really work?
What are you going to put it on ? and does the car have a filter now ?
Old 08-13-2008, 11:38 AM
mojomal
APPRENTICE

440 dodge 1050 dominator on gas no filter 1in spacer
Old 08-13-2008, 11:43 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

440 dodge 1050 dominator on gas no filter 1in spacer
I've seen some gain et. I personally seen no et on my 582 BBC, but didnt lose any either. I put it on to keep rocks and other things out of the motor. Your motor will thank you
Old 10-03-2008, 01:50 AM
ashbros
RACING JUNKIE

Yes they work. I have ran several blown street applications and you would not beleive how a conventional off the shelf air cleaner will restrict the air flow especially on a blower application.

Until you have an off the shelf air cleaner on your carb and replace it with a K&N filter well, you have to see it to beleive it.
Old 10-03-2008, 12:37 PM
tcarda
MASTER BUILDER

Just don't use the K&N filter lid! I have one and I lost 15 hp on the dyno with it. The dyno guy had another base with a solid cover and I lost 1 hp through his with using my main element on both pulls.
Old 10-08-2008, 11:01 AM
desoto30
JUNIOR BUILDER

Originally Posted by tcarda
Just don't use the K&N filter lid! I have one and I lost 15 hp on the dyno with it. The dyno guy had another base with a solid cover and I lost 1 hp through his with using my main element on both pulls.
When you lost that 15HP what height was the air cleaner element,& did you test different element heights by any chance.You also mention about the base,What was the difference there?
Old 10-08-2008, 12:02 PM
dynaguy03
MASTER BUILDER

Default K&N

I use a large 6in high x 14 dia ..K&N filter with the K&N "Extreme" top. On the Dyno we saw no HP loss.. no gain tho either.
I just cant bring myself to run an un-protected carb ..with all the crap that fly's around at the track in the burnout box..pits.. ect. Doesnt take much to go into the carb and begin "munching" on parts!!

Just my 2 cents
Keith
Old 10-12-2008, 09:37 AM
tcarda
MASTER BUILDER

Originally Posted by desoto30
Originally Posted by tcarda
When you lost that 15HP what height was the air cleaner element,& did you test different element heights by any chance.You also mention about the base,What was the difference there?
I had on a "standard" chrome base on mine with a 6" tall X 14" with the K&N cover. The guy at the dyno had an aluminum type base that was rounded going into the carb, my 6" X 14" element, and his cover did not have any sharp edges in the air flow pattern. The wingnut was down from the top of aircleaner around an inch and he told that with the lid like that it directs the air flow downward. I have picture but I am not sure how to post it and if you want to pm me your email I will send it. I forgot to mention that this was on a 4150 style carb. I agree with dynaguy03 about havin an unprotected engine from the elements especially with me because mine is exposed to a dirt environment.