Thread: QUESTION ABOUT SLEEVING BLOCKS

QUESTION ABOUT SLEEVING BLOCKS

I was wondering if you can take a BBC and sleeve all the cylinders bigger to a 4.500-4.600 bore.Mainly asking about a 427 tall deck block and getting 572-598ci. out of it.I know that it is not feasible to do this and that it is better to buy an aftermarket block but i am just wondering if this can be done.Thanks

Senior Member MASTER BUILDER

sleeves

Its been a while, but a local shop was doing this, If I remember the guys were using the 4.0 stroke to make a 509. :wink:

Senior Member EXPERT BUILDER
    WITH A LOT OF THE TALL DECK 366 AND 427 BLOCKS IVE HEARD YOU CAN BORE MANY TIMES TO 4.350 OR EVEN 4.375...THEY HAVE THICKER CYLINDER WALLS

Senior Member SENIOR BUILDER
    No, you cannot sleeve a 366 or 427 truck block to a 4.5" bore. You'd be into the water jackets. The last one I had sonic checked had a standard bore and the thickest part of the cylinder walls was only .167". You need to have siamesed bores for a 4.5" bore, unless the block was already made with a 4.4" or larger bore.

Mark

Junior Member APPRENTICE

sleeving blocks

coloradoracerguy is right. Factory block bores don't have enough material to do this. Bowtie or aftermarket. Good hunting.

McCraw Machine and Parts

Re: QUESTION ABOUT SLEEVING BLOCKS

Quote Originally Posted by lmchevy
    I was wondering if you can take a BBC and sleeve all the cylinders bigger to a 4.500-4.600 bore.Mainly asking about a 427 tall deck block and getting 572-598ci. out of it.I know that it is not feasible to do this and that it is better to buy an aftermarket block but i am just wondering if this can be done.Thanks
    Your question brings back memories 35 years ago I took a 396 4 bolt main block sleeved all 8 holes and borded 100 over I had pistons trying to change holes what a mess.No don't try it alexu is correct.
    Big Chief head beginner

7. Racing Junk