engine cooling systems when running alcohol

Old 07-16-2008, 01:33 PM
racecrafter
JOURNEYMAN

Default engine cooling systems when running alcohol

I have read lots of good info here about alcohol fuel systems and types of fuel injection, warming the engine on gas etc. but haven't seen any comments about filling the block .....half or fully or not at all.....running radiator or just circulating water thru the block.
Old 07-16-2008, 01:38 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: engine cooling systems when running alcohol

Originally Posted by racecrafter
I have read lots of good info here about alcohol fuel systems and types of fuel injection, warming the engine on gas etc. but haven't seen any comments about filling the block .....half or fully or not at all.....running radiator or just circulating water thru the block.

I dont see a reason to fill the block unless you need to for other reasons. in my case I run the water pump only during a run may turn the fan on when I am on my way back if its mid summer and 90 degrees out. I have a radiator on my car also.
Old 07-18-2008, 12:51 PM
dak697
MASTER BUILDER

I drove an injected SBC car last year. non-filled block. Rad/Fan water pump...warm the car up, make the pass with just the pump running ....turn onto the return road and click the fan on..by the time I got back to the pits the car was at 170.. Ran in weather as cool as 65 and as hot as 105 ...never changed a thing
Old 07-19-2008, 04:42 PM
olds48
RACING JUNKIE

I got a bunch of buddies with front engine dragsters and some door cars that are all injected alky.All the door cars have blocks filled with water/water wetter(just for corosoin),but no pumps or radiators.Charlie's roadster has a flathead,blown injected alky,he runs and entire cooling system.Found it (flatty)wouldn't live without it.But the guys in the rails all run their blocks DRY.If you break something and then drive thru 200 degree water,it sucks!!They pull all the freeze plugs,thermostat housings,manifold plugs.... leave everything open.Noone has had any problems with it ...yet.Don't sound right to me.Just passing along what I've seen
Old 07-21-2008, 05:12 AM
racecrafter
JOURNEYMAN

thanks for the input ....I have also seen lots of people doing it different ways.....thought this might be an interesting topic