454 Chev racing starter troubles

Old 07-09-2008, 06:50 AM
khib442
SHOW GUEST

Default 454 Chev racing starter troubles

Motor was completly gone thru, the flex plate is the only thing different.
I have checked everything and it all looks good, but when I hook up the starter the starter gear will hang up. I unhooked the flex plate from the torque converter to see if it was pulling the plate in, but everything is fine.
All bolts are tight and torgued to specs.

I have tried shimming the starter, checking the clearence and it all looks good until you turn the motor over, then it hangs up.

Anyone ever have this happen?
Old 07-09-2008, 06:55 AM
jmarksdragster
RACING JUNKIE

Cheap flexplate, out of round. JW Wheel is a little more but worth it.[/u]
Old 07-09-2008, 07:57 AM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Is the starter junk? Can you pull the starter drive fwd by hand and get it to mesh smoothly with the flexplate?
Old 07-09-2008, 08:36 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: 454 Chev racing starter troubles

Originally Posted by khib442
I have checked everything and it all looks good, but when I hook up the starter the starter gear will hang up. I unhooked the flex plate from the torque converter to see if it was pulling the plate in, but everything is fine.

I have tried shimming the starter, checking the clearence and it all looks good until you turn the motor over, then it hangs up.

I've had this happen to myself and others, try to shim one side of the starter only. Flywheel isnt on backwards is it ? Just tossing a few things out there
Old 07-09-2008, 11:45 AM
badbug3
JUNIOR BUILDER

Default no prolem

what exactly do you mean by hanging up. Do you mean that when u bump the starter, the starter drive stays engaged in the flywheel? If , that is the problem, then its not a problem. It will disengage after it cranks. If that is not the problem, then explain exactly what u mean by hanging up? Or call me and i will tell u how to fix it. 318-687-9088 gary
Old 07-09-2008, 08:01 PM
CHEVYMATT
JUNIOR BUILDER

i had similar situation when i jumped the solonoid from the positive post off the starter and installed a ford type solonoid on the firewall that way i had zero power wires at starter when running . i had to eliminate the juper at starter and two seperate solonoids. good luck jmt
Old 08-04-2008, 06:42 PM
promodjohn
APPRENTICE

Default Re: 454 Chev racing starter troubles

Originally Posted by khib442

Check tooth count on the flex plate with the old one you may have the wrong plate,and its not compatible with the starter.
Old 08-05-2008, 03:11 PM
olds48
RACING JUNKIE

Is the battery fully charged?I know that sounds stupid,but a low battery can engage the starter,but not throw it far enough in so that it will jump out by it self.Just a thought.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:53 PM
Scooterz
RACING JUNKIE

Is this a high torque mini-starter? I had to adjust mine as it is a rotating base to fit multiple blocks... once I did this, I had to shim it a few times... because it would pound the teeth on the flywheel.