glide planetaries

Old 07-05-2008, 07:23 PM
altereddoug
JOURNEYMAN

Default glide planetaries

Anyone had a problem witht the planetary pins being ground down by the sun gear shell?
I think the problem is underneath the sun gear pinion, loacated in the planetaries. The thrust washer(bearing) I think is either the wrong thickness or worn down. Tranny only has at the most 100 passes on it since I purchased it new.

Do they make different thicknesses of this particular bushing?
Or do they make different styles for the sun gear shells? Maybe this shell is the wrong type??

here are some pics

Old 07-06-2008, 05:51 AM
johnracer
DYNO OPERATOR

I had that same problem with mine a while back. The pins are an interferance fit in the planetary and the bores get loose over time. If they get loose enough, the lock plate will bow and let the pins rub. I tapped mine back into place and tack welded them.....no problem since.
Old 07-06-2008, 04:54 PM
altereddoug
JOURNEYMAN

Really if I drive them farther in, just alittle farther and remove the bolts and weld them in, like factory, would be the way to go then.... cause even the bolts button heads bolts are rubbing.
Old 07-12-2008, 12:40 PM
altereddoug
JOURNEYMAN

Anyone know what the thickness is of a brand new input sun gear thrust washer? My old one is .812 and only need, at a minimum, .840.
Old 07-13-2008, 04:20 PM
sg1586
MASTER BUILDER

Originally Posted by altereddoug
Anyone know what the thickness is of a brand new input sun gear thrust washer? My old one is .812 and only need, at a minimum, .840.

Doug, I have a few used ones in my hand ( good used ones) and they all measures .808 to. 810........ I don't know if a new one will get you to the # you need...If you want to try to cut one down to make a shim I would be glad to send it to you.......
Old 07-13-2008, 06:30 PM
tkilby
APPRENTICE

Something I ran into with one rebuilt 1.76 planetary set I bought from a transmission wholesale company was the sun gear was too thick "or too tall". If you have another sun gear compare the two, in your case maybe you have a sun gear that is too thin "or not tall enough". Or could be the planetary gearset is assembled wrong.
Old 07-16-2008, 04:49 AM
altereddoug
JOURNEYMAN

I decided just to machine a new thrust washer that goes underneath the input sun gear and leave it at that. Simplest way to fix it and not weld anything. Just made a hardened bronze washer .100 instead of .075 to make it all work.
Old 07-16-2008, 05:03 AM
suicidebomb
RACING JUNKIE

I aint trying to argue, but I am confused( usually am). Won't that screw up the endplay, once you get it back together?
Old 07-16-2008, 08:08 AM
altereddoug
JOURNEYMAN

Yes it will, but the endplay is already screwed up because the sun gear drum wore down the rivets and bolt heads on the planetary carrier, around .030. Just have to recheck it when I get it back together to see what it needs for shims.
Old 07-16-2008, 05:59 PM
suicidebomb
RACING JUNKIE

OK, Thanks altered