NEED HELP! About to buy a 67 Mustang,what should I look for?

Old 06-24-2008, 05:35 PM
ammin123
SHOW GUEST

Default NEED HELP! About to buy a 67 Mustang,what should I look for?

Hey everyone, I'm knew to this project/restoration world. I was looking for any help in what things I should look for when I go see this car I want to buy. It is a 1967 Mustang that needs some work. The guy said its in driving condition. Original paint with no rust, just cracks over time. There is a little rust on the floor panel, but he said he has brand new replacements. Here is the description and his asking price is $5000 or OBO: PLEASE HELP ME, I dont want to get scammed or jipt. Thank you

67 MUSTANG COUPE 289 V8 AT
125,000 miles

HIS IS A LIST OF NEW ITEMS
-RADIATOR
-TOP BOTTOM
-5/8"HEATER HOSES
-THEMOSTAT
-FLUSH KIT.TUNE UP
-GAS TANK FUEL PUMP
-Air FILTER
-ALL THE BRAKES SHOES
-MASTER@
-WHEEL CYDERS
-ALL BRAKE LINES OEM. ORG.
-DRUMS
INTERIOR IS AWESOME PERFECT BLACK BUCKIT SEATS AND REAR,DOOR PANELS.ARM REST. SUN VISORS W/NEW RODS.DOME LIGHT.ALL DOOR HANDLES IN THE BOX ALSO CARPIT @ SOUND DEADNER IN THE BOX. A FEW SMALL DINGS ACROSS NOSE OF THE HOOD AND A COUPLE IN THE ROOF AREA BUT ALL MINOR REPAIRABLE, BUMPERS STRAIGHT BUT NEED RE-CHROMED.TITLE IN HAND RUNS VERY GOOD DRIVES NICE ON INTERSTATE BUT TRIES TO DIE AT STOP SIGN.NEEDS NEW CARB OR CHANGE TO 4 BBL.AGAIN NEW GAS TANK BUT THINK MAYBE SOME RUST IN CARB FROM OLD TANK. HAVE ORG. RADIATOR IN BOX BUT NEEDS RE- CORED.
Old 07-03-2008, 07:37 AM
lorider63
SHOW GUEST

if i was you when you go the next time to look at it or buy it take a refrigerator magnet with you and go over the whole car with the magnet,you will feel a slight differance if theres body filler in it( it wont even stick if its real thick) if there is body filler ask if why.if this is your first resto job you want to try and stay away from having to replace panals but if all is well with it sounds like a good price
Old 01-22-2009, 10:25 AM
rdecker
SHOW GUEST

Get under car and look closly at unibody rails.I have restored many mustangs and this is a budget braker.Rails are available but require jigging car to replace properly.Also look under upper control arms. There is a recess in the rail that collects dirt and debree over the years and causes them to rot out. Look closly at the upper inner fenders.Just forward of the hood hinges, I always find rott here. Good luck.
Old 01-27-2009, 02:22 PM
markadams
JUNIOR BUILDER

Check the 1/4 wheel lips real good. On an original car you should see the factory spot welds. They should stay a consistant thickness also. I have restored a few myself and when you get a rusty one, you wind up just about replacing the whole car. Not much left over from what you bought originally. Good Luck
Old 01-27-2009, 03:29 PM
schwind1000
SHOW GUEST

I would agree on checking the shock towers real good. Look at the tires from the front and note if they tip in at the top, if so the towers are starting to tip ( bad news). Take the car for a test drive and take it up to 55mph if posible then put the brakes on firm. If the car pulls hard to the left or right the towers maybe tipping. I have had may mustangs in my years and most have had this problem overtime. Take your time and look it over real good.