Tranny Gears

Old 06-13-2008, 05:00 AM
ashtrak
MASTER BUILDER

Default Tranny Gears

I was wondering :? if you can run a straight cut gear (PowerGlide) on the street or are they more for racing. Advantages of the straight cut gear as opposed the others. Any help would be greatly appreciated :wink:
Old 06-13-2008, 06:28 AM
john858
EXPERT BUILDER

straight cuts are alot stronger & some have stronger output shafts.i would think you could run them on the street ,they would a little noisey i would think.imo if your not running over 700hp just run a stock set of 1.76's.good luck
Old 06-13-2008, 02:07 PM
tkilby
APPRENTICE

Most of the straight cut planetaries have 9310 gears which are softer gears to absorb impact for drag racing. IMO, they would not be suitable in a street application. Again, IMO.
Old 06-14-2008, 06:34 PM
jrthone
SENIOR BUILDER

Are straight cut gears( say a 1.80 ) in the glide noisy at all????? Evan if they are softer why couldnt you use them in a street application. On that note if its not over 700 hp i wouldnt bother spending the cash and just use a 1.76 standard set as they are very strong units.
Old 06-15-2008, 04:23 AM
tkilby
APPRENTICE

Originally Posted by tkilby
Most of the straight cut planetaries have 9310 gears which are softer gears to absorb impact for drag racing. IMO, they would not be suitable in a street application. Again, IMO.

9310 is what is used in a "Pro Gear" ring & pinion set which is not recommended for street use. But after doing some more research, I found that in some of the high end manual transmissions street and race 9310 gears are used. So, in other words I don't know.