Thread: Tranny Gears

Senior Member MASTER BUILDER

Tranny Gears

I was wondering :? if you can run a straight cut gear (PowerGlide) on the street or are they more for racing. Advantages of the straight cut gear as opposed the others. Any help would be greatly appreciated :wink:

Senior Member EXPERT BUILDER
    straight cuts are alot stronger & some have stronger output shafts.i would think you could run them on the street ,they would a little noisey i would think.imo if your not running over 700hp just run a stock set of 1.76's.good luck

Junior Member APPRENTICE
    Most of the straight cut planetaries have 9310 gears which are softer gears to absorb impact for drag racing. IMO, they would not be suitable in a street application. Again, IMO.

Senior Member SENIOR BUILDER
    Are straight cut gears( say a 1.80 ) in the glide noisy at all????? Evan if they are softer why couldnt you use them in a street application. On that note if its not over 700 hp i wouldnt bother spending the cash and just use a 1.76 standard set as they are very strong units.

Junior Member APPRENTICE
    Quote Originally Posted by tkilby
    Most of the straight cut planetaries have 9310 gears which are softer gears to absorb impact for drag racing. IMO, they would not be suitable in a street application. Again, IMO.

9310 is what is used in a "Pro Gear" ring & pinion set which is not recommended for street use. But after doing some more research, I found that in some of the high end manual transmissions street and race 9310 gears are used. So, in other words I don't know.