how do i tell if convertor is going bad???

Old 06-09-2008, 06:40 PM
TD495T
APPRENTICE

Default how do i tell if convertor is going bad???

what is the best way to tell if my convertor is goin bad? running this past sat. nite my reaction times were all over the place and car started slowing down first in mph then et's and the track got better as the nite went on, my car usually runs 4.80's & 90's @ 141mph but my last pass was 5.02 @ 135. have been racing for over 10 years but have never had a convertor go bad so don't know what to look for.

thanks,

wade
Old 06-10-2008, 04:09 AM
scot9055
APPRENTICE

Default possible answer

I had similar problems with converters way back when I first started running NOS. What I had gotten to the point of doing is not recommended by most but I found effective, Jack the ride up and run the engine with tranny in high gear. Get it up to a temp of like 140 or so and record what the engine temp and run time was, then pull the 2 step chip out bring it up and see where the "dead stall" is at on the converter. Write these numbers down in your little black book. The later down the road if you suspect converter problems go back and repeat the test and compare notes...
Not saying this is the right way but it works for me. Now I can just read my data logger, but when I put in a new converter I always do it like that. I will even be doing it with the new billet bolt together I'm getting from chance next week or 2
Scott
Old 06-10-2008, 01:34 PM
tkilby
APPRENTICE

If the converter is a sprag type, I would bet the sprag in converter is slipping. This in turn will cause converter to lose stall speed or "tighten up". IMO!
Old 06-13-2008, 08:09 PM
TD495T
APPRENTICE

thanks for the info guys, i started to order a new spragless converter at the first of the season but had to spend the money getting my other car going, looks like i don't have a choice now.

thanks

wade
Old 06-19-2008, 01:11 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

I'd bet the sprag is broke also. All spragless here now, you will notice it is very sluggish down low.