Trans. case broke...

Old 06-08-2008, 03:47 PM
prostreet1972
JOURNEYMAN

Default Trans. case broke...

I have a 72 chevelle back halved ladder bar setup, 6 point cage. I was running all solid motor and trans mount. My trans case broke towards the back right by the round thing that a bench mount transmission stand screws into on the left side up ove the top and then back to where the vaccum modulater mounts.

it is just a mild 350sbc, TH350 with shift kit, 5.14 gear footbrake car. Runs low 8.2s in the 1/8 and ran 7.72 on 100hp shot of nitrous

I now know that I shouldn't run all 3 solid mounts, I have installed a poly mount now. Just curious what else would have caused this and what else should I check to hopefully not happen again?

I hope to be getting a 10 point cage here soon, maybe even a 12 point.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Travis
Old 06-08-2008, 03:57 PM
mytmouz
RACING JUNKIE

Ditching the solid tranny mount will most likely cure it...
Old 06-08-2008, 06:40 PM
jmarksdragster
RACING JUNKIE

NEVER, EVER run a solid trans mount. Chassis flex will break the trans. Just because a Chevelle is a full frame car does NOT mean it doesn't flex. The 71 Chevelle I used to have was inconsistent until I welded a roll bar to the frame. BIG DIFFERENCE. That gave me a clue as to how much it was flexing. Put at least a bar in the car, cage is better. ASAP. But still no solid trans mount.
Old 06-08-2008, 09:32 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

I have a 12 pt cage and a motor plate and I still use a stock rubber trans mount...if something has gota give at some point I'd rather it be the cheap rubber mount.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:38 AM
john858
EXPERT BUILDER

i think they cover everything!good luck