solid lifter & adjustment

Old 06-08-2008, 07:56 AM
Scooterz
RACING JUNKIE

Default solid lifter & adjustment

I am new to solid lifters/adjusting... a little green on motors on some things. I noticed a sound that was almost like a dead cylinder only @ low rpm. I checked all electrical first & plugs & wires. Checked for vacumn leaks... so far, so good. Next, I pulled on valve cover off the BBC. It had a slight stumble off idle & the low-end/rpm was not right... it had a classic valve failure sound. It has Milodin roller intake rockers & one of them was too loose (Builder says both int/exh are .26) the poly-lock had come a little looose it was probably @ about .80 or more. I adjusted it back to .26 & inspected all the others for tolerance, they were ok. I am very new to adjusting valve lash... would above cause that much trouble? This is mainly a street car/toy. Sympton started @local cruise here when I went home. Anyone ever have those poly-locks come loose? I bought a remote starer switch too, that was a big help to check the valve tolerance. Any advise on adjusting solid lifters before I finish this job???? Thanks gentlemen.
Old 06-08-2008, 08:02 AM
mytmouz
RACING JUNKIE

A properly adjusted poly lock may sometimes work loose. However, it it does it again, I would look for a lobe failure issue...
Old 06-08-2008, 08:34 AM
Scooterz
RACING JUNKIE

Thanks TPorter. If it is a "lobe" issue, I guess I will be forced to learn ALOT more about internals /eng. building soon. This symptom I had sound par for the corse when it is loose? One valve being off that much makes for crappy idle/off idle & sound?
Old 06-08-2008, 08:53 AM
mytmouz
RACING JUNKIE

Yep, it only takes 1...
Old 06-08-2008, 09:16 AM
OneBadGMC
RACING JUNKIE

Poly locks suck. If you don't tighten them enough, they come loose. If you over tighten them, they break when the motor gets hot.

Buy a stud girdle and be done with it. MUCH easier to set valve lash and it ties everything together for strength.
Old 06-08-2008, 10:42 AM
Scooterz
RACING JUNKIE

I wondered about a girdle... the poly that came loose is one that I must have overtightened... it is a replacement I had to install. I think I will look at a girdle... it makes sense. Any do & don'ts? reccomendations?
Old 06-08-2008, 10:54 AM
olds48
RACING JUNKIE

Just make sure the engine is up to temp when you adjust them.After you do one side,usually have to warm it up again to do the other side....that is if you're slow like me.Competition Products has some good deals on girdles.Only place I could find that had some that would actually fit my Canfields.Ordered 3 other sets from three different people.All 3 sent the exact same girdles.Last two guys I told them what I had tried before,and didn't work and they sent those anyways. :twisted: Do you know how much it sux to buy 3 sets of girdles,with 3 shipping charges and know you're getting screwed??ALOT :lol: Nothing like having enough $$$ invested in wrong stud girdles to afford a good shaft system :lol: Run the girdles.Can't do nothing but help,and you know they'll never wear out!A loose poly-lock floating around in a motor can quickly negate a couple hundred bucks spent on a good girdle :shock: Peace of mind is nice,too.Good luck!
Old 06-08-2008, 12:10 PM
OneBadGMC
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by Rigsby
I wondered about a girdle... the poly that came loose is one that I must have overtightened... it is a replacement I had to install. I think I will look at a girdle... it makes sense. Any do & don'ts? reccomendations?
http://jomarperformance.com/catalog/...cPath=21_22_26

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...=KeywordSearch
Old 06-08-2008, 12:15 PM
Scooterz
RACING JUNKIE

Mr.Olds48, I always enjoy your replies... thanks bud. I will probably have better luck scoring the girdles for a BBC. It has Crane/Mildonin rockers all w/ poly's. I haven't known the difference in the past to know better. I will warm it up good on the adjustment so I don't break another. I am amazed how one poly giving up tolerance can make it run so crappy in the low!! It is night & day....
Old 06-09-2008, 02:22 PM
rk85racing
SHOW GUEST

Default poly locks

stud girdles r a good idea but if u kno what ur doin poly locks do the same job for cheaper. i check mine after every serious race and have had none come loose. if u want to save money just snug them up, u dont ahve to tighten the piss out of them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -