Starting Issues

Old 06-01-2008, 08:55 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Default Starting Issues

Yesterday while trying to start my car I broke another starter (#3 this year), it also pretty well wasted the flexplate (#3 also). My question is this why am I getting a big kickback when cranking ?
Its a bbc with a terminator that has a primer on it.

So far I am going to do this what do you think ?

Adding a MSD Starter Saver to retard the timing 10 degrees when cranking, I have 0 retard now. This may help ?

Going to buy a new starter that I've used in the past that works great.
http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/10001/10002/-1

I have another new flexplate I am going to put on it. A TCI and going to order another spare Jegs Flexplate ($42.00 compaired to $65.00) just in case.
http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/60151/10002/-1

I've been told to elminate the ford selnoid and run the wire back to the starter instead ?? Any truth to this helping ?

I checked volts on mine going into it 12.2 coming out 10.6 back to starter.
When I am cranking the motor over without ign on I am 12.2 volts everywhere as soon as I crank its 10 volts untill it starts ?

Before anyone jumps to grounds and powers this has all been checked and grounds been added to block, chassis all 2 gauge. Powdercoating has been taking off and also paint on block.

Battery is a newer Optima Red Top and is good to go

My next solution to all this mess is going back to a carb, this is a common issue with injection but hate to give up on it because its a copy machine right now.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 06-01-2008, 01:05 PM
curtisreed
RACING JUNKIE

David

Is it doing this when it is cold or randomly? Are you on alcohol or gas? Did you change anything in your combination this year? One question I have is why do you run the Ford Solenoid, I.E. what are you trying to isolate or protect with it?

Curtis
Old 06-01-2008, 01:07 PM
dak697
MASTER BUILDER

I have done the ford solenoid and it seems to work good.

The only thing I might try different is the battery. Borrow a battery (fully charged) and give it a try. (Steal it out of the pick up)The battery might be the issue.

Good luck
Old 06-01-2008, 01:20 PM
john858
EXPERT BUILDER

if you have your timing locked down the timing retard will solve the problem i would think
Old 06-01-2008, 04:10 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by doorracer
David

Is it doing this when it is cold or randomly? Are you on alcohol or gas? Did you change anything in your combination this year? One question I have is why do you run the Ford Solenoid, I.E. what are you trying to isolate or protect with it?

Curtis
It does it when its cold more often but still does it when its warm.
I am on alky, I have a primer on it to start with gas though.

The ford solenoid comes with the k&r kit and is wired with it so I used it, lots of buddies use it with there carbs and have no issues. I am going to bypass it this week just to maybe elminate something on the list of could be.
Old 06-01-2008, 04:11 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by dak697
I have done the ford solenoid and it seems to work good.

The only thing I might try different is the battery. Borrow a battery (fully charged) and give it a try. (Steal it out of the pick up)The battery might be the issue.

Good luck
Already took the one off the trailer and tried it, same results. thanks
Old 06-01-2008, 04:12 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by john858
if you have your timing locked down the timing retard will solve the problem i would think
My thoughts also I know the 25 degree start retard is way to much though, thats why I am thinking 10 would be good.
Old 06-01-2008, 04:45 PM
sg1586
MASTER BUILDER

[quote="hammertime"]
My thoughts also I know the 25 degree start retard is way to much though, thats why I am thinking 10 would be good.[/quote

What msd box are you running???? Get a Digital box and your problems will be gone
Old 06-01-2008, 07:23 PM
gearhead1011
EXPERT BUILDER

Originally Posted by hammertime
My thoughts also I know the 25 degree start retard is way to much though, thats why I am thinking 10 would be good.
I would go with the 25* retard. My guess is the timing is fixed at about 35* so you will have about 10* in it for starting. If you uses a 10* retard you're still starting with 25* of timing in it.
Old 06-01-2008, 07:41 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

[quote="sg1586"]
Originally Posted by hammertime
My thoughts also I know the 25 degree start retard is way to much though, thats why I am thinking 10 would be good.[/quote

What msd box are you running???? Get a Digital box and your problems will be gone

7al3 box ... digital should of been on it but I was to stubburn and stuck with the al3 maybe over the winter ??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -