inexperienced driver looking for advice

Old 05-27-2008, 07:31 PM
Nathan08
SHOW GUEST

Default inexperienced driver looking for advice

Hi,
I'm 17 years old, and graduating from high school in 6 days. I have been a racing fan since the time my dad set me on his lap when I was a little tyke to watch races at our local dirt tracks.
I have only the experience of racing go-carts as I never had the money to go any farther than that.
I have gone almost every saterday night to the local dirt track, and I'm addicted, but I want to be more than just a fan, I have the want to drive one.
I realize, unless you have the money to build your own, or the talent to be seen by a owner, there is not much you can do.
My dad built his first car in the late 70's out of a 66 Plymouth Satellite with 426 Wedge and won several races, and rookie of the year for that year out of 10 rookie drivers, and he had zero experience on the track.
Now what gets me to the looking for advice part.
What can I do to get a chance to prove myself that I do have the talent I know is in me? How can I get into a car, perhaps once, and maybe get an owner to take a chance on someone.
I dont want to go the rest of my life saying what if I had.
Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Nathan
Old 05-28-2008, 02:40 AM
slowmotion
RACING JUNKIE

Around here the have what called the hornet class. It's front wheel drive cars that can be picked up pretty cheap and the rules are simple.
sounds like you need to start in the bottom class of your track and work your way up. Then if your good enough maybe someone will take notice and let you try to step up.
Another option is to find a friend or 2 to go in on a car together. Take turns driving if you have to. It's better to race 1/2 the events instead of none.

Of course you could take up drag racing and use your daily driver. :wink:
Old 05-28-2008, 06:12 AM
mopar1968
RACING JUNKIE

Go to your local track mark ''test'' on windshield, and practice Most of the time when you put ** test ** on your windshield, they will let you run, you won't be in the race with other cars.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:20 AM
Nathan08
SHOW GUEST

Thanks for that, I will check into it and see which track may have that series.

I think the track closest to me has the All-American Street class as the lowest series, besides the lower sprint cars.
Old 06-01-2008, 07:19 PM
toolmantaylor
SHOW GUEST

I can tell you how I got started. I went to the pit side of the track during race night. Wandered around talked to a few people, made some friends. Offered to volunteer to help out as a pit crew. Found one taker, helped him for a year with everything, during the race, off nights working on car, you name it. We became good friends. Anyway at the end of the year we have a play day, He let me drive, coolest thing ever. The following year I was able to build my own car, started out in hobby stock. Learned alot just helping out and being in the pits. Give it a try, you don't know till you ask. Good luck
Old 06-02-2008, 12:29 AM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

MANY TRACKS HAVE A MECHANICS RACE THE LAST NIGHT OF YEAR...See if someone will let you do that
Old 06-02-2008, 05:28 AM
qtrmile2
DYNO OPERATOR

Originally Posted by toolmantaylor
I can tell you how I got started. I went to the pit side of the track during race night. Wandered around talked to a few people, made some friends. Offered to volunteer to help out as a pit crew. Found one taker, helped him for a year with everything, during the race, off nights working on car, you name it. We became good friends. Anyway at the end of the year we have a play day, He let me drive, coolest thing ever. The following year I was able to build my own car, started out in hobby stock. Learned alot just helping out and being in the pits. Give it a try, you don't know till you ask. Good luck

I think toolmantaylor has some great advise here. I'm a drag racer so I can't give you good advise on your deal but I think talking to people that race at the track just might get you in the sport. If you can't fund the ride maybe meeting racers will help. Remember you have to go to them they won't come to you unless they see you out there racing. Good Luck
Old 06-02-2008, 11:10 AM
john858
EXPERT BUILDER

i think toolman is right if you get with the right group of guys ,sweep some floors if you have to & show them you are there to learn ,do what it take for the team someone will notice! it won't happen overnight but it will happen.DON'T GIVE UP & good luck
Old 06-02-2008, 11:08 PM
N2Dirt
APPRENTICE

i race modifieds and out track is open every wednesday for practice. I will take my crew out towards the end of the year and let them hotlap.

Best advice, get a pitpass find someone who will take you in and do all you can to help.

As far as what does it take to get noticed. Unless you have deep pockets or have a friend that has money but doesnt want to drive, i wouldn't hold my breath waiting for that big break.

I started racing modifieds in 2002, in 2005 I raced 360ci sprint cars (ASCS Rules), was 2nd in points going into the final night and ran out of fuel running 3rd in the A, was rookie of they year in 2005, in 2006 I won the track championship, sold everything and went back to modifieds for 2007 and 2008.

Sprint cars where too expensive, I did have success, but I never tore anything up. That was the reason for going back to modifieds. I'm still waiting for that phone call that I hoped someone noticed me and wants me to drive their sprinter. But I am a realist. It's probably never going to happen.