Needing Help with a 71 Buick Skylark

Old 05-24-2008, 05:46 PM
bowtie4542001
DYNO OPERATOR

Default Needing Help with a 71 Buick Skylark

Hello Guys,
I am in need of some help. I am working on a 71 Buick Skylark with a 350. The problem is when you go to start it for the first time, you have to spray starting fluid in the carb and even then its hard to start. Once you get it started though, she runs fine. Then you have to go through the same mess the next day. I have checked all the fuel lines, replaced the fuel pump and even replaced the carb (quadajet). I have no clue what else to do. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance. Happy Memorial Day to Everyone and God Bless Our Troops.

Chris
Old 05-24-2008, 07:19 PM
johnracer
DYNO OPERATOR

Does the choke work? Should be an auto choke. One pump to the floor should set it. I know this sounds stupid, but in the world of electronic fuel injection, many people don't know how to operate an automamatic choke....
Old 05-24-2008, 07:25 PM
bowtie4542001
DYNO OPERATOR

Originally Posted by johnracer
Does the choke work? Should be an auto choke. One pump to the floor should set it. I know this sounds stupid, but in the world of electronic fuel injection, many people don't know how to operate an automamatic choke....
I have not tried to just pump the gas peddle one time. I have worked with Quadrajets much (Holley Guy myself). I know that it does not have an electric or manual chock. Never thought about it having an auto choke. I will try that out in the morning. Thanks

Chris
Old 05-24-2008, 07:34 PM
lookingaround
RACING JUNKIE

hey chris does it have a little rod on the passenger side going down to the intake? it has a coiled spring in it that when it heats up the chokes goes off. when its cold the spring has tension on it that will pull the choke closed when you mash the gas to the floor once. that is a automatic choke so to speak.
Old 05-24-2008, 08:16 PM
robocop75
SHOW GUEST

Post your question on V8Buick.com
Old 05-24-2008, 11:50 PM
bowtie4542001
DYNO OPERATOR

Thanks Perry for the response. It does not have the rod going down to the intake. I have seen what you are taking about, don't a lot of people just block those off? This thing is driving me crazy :evil:

Chris

I will go over to that web site as well, Thanks
Old 05-25-2008, 03:02 AM
andamo
MASTER BUILDER

Chris, it sounds like the lack of a choke is what's keeping the car from starting. If the choke plate is still there you could get a cable and make it into a manual choke.
As far as the well being blocked off, it's actually the heat crossover passage from one head to the other the racers block off to keep the intake manifold cool. If it were mine, and it's a daily driver, I'd get the automatic choke working.
Old 05-25-2008, 08:46 PM
mr950
SHOW GUEST

Default Hard start cold

If your runnign a Q-Jet, check for a leaking welch plug on bottom of carb. It lets the fuel bowl drain overnight, hence the cold start problem. With the engine off,after overnight not running, look down carb and hit the gas a few times. Is there a pump shot? If not, I'm pretty sure you have a welch plug leaker. Remove carb and clean with carb cleaner, then apply J.B. weld to the leaking plug. Smear it all around the plug[usually soft alum, or brass plug] they block off machining passages on the carb body. Let dry overnight then install the carb , fill the float bowl, this can be done thru the vent tube or cranking engine. Let it set till cold start again and see what ya get. I've done hundreds of these over the years of working on G.M carbs[Q-Jet} Good carbs, you just have to have a handle on them. Heck, my engine builder runs one on a D/stock 396 Camaro and runs 9.40@143 !!!
Old 05-25-2008, 10:44 PM
bowtie4542001
DYNO OPERATOR

Default Re: Hard start cold

Originally Posted by mr950
If your runnign a Q-Jet, check for a leaking welch plug on bottom of carb. It lets the fuel bowl drain overnight, hence the cold start problem. With the engine off,after overnight not running, look down carb and hit the gas a few times. Is there a pump shot? If not, I'm pretty sure you have a welch plug leaker. Remove carb and clean with carb cleaner, then apply J.B. weld to the leaking plug. Smear it all around the plug[usually soft alum, or brass plug] they block off machining passages on the carb body. Let dry overnight then install the carb , fill the float bowl, this can be done thru the vent tube or cranking engine. Let it set till cold start again and see what ya get. I've done hundreds of these over the years of working on G.M carbs[Q-Jet} Good carbs, you just have to have a handle on them. Heck, my engine builder runs one on a D/stock 396 Camaro and runs 9.40@143 !!!
Thanks a lot mr950. I will try that tomorrow. I have not had too many dealing with QJets and this thing is kicking my butt. Thanks Again
Chris
Old 05-27-2008, 10:27 PM
poncholvr
MASTER BUILDER

a good edelbrock with a manual,or auto choke will fix it-
-not a fan of quadrajunks-- i know it seems like the damn things are on everything-i just dont lik'em :evil:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -